Honest opinions...

On modular homes? I have always been afraid of the terminology that my MIL called people that live in them. We are thinking about purchasing one because we can't qualify for a house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have no problem with it and I wouldn't let anyone tell me different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Not the safest thing in a tornado, but if it's what you can afford right now, do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• modular homes are really nice if you shop around and find a good one! and whocares what MIl says! if she has something to say then you tell her to buy you a house!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Are you talking about a trailer or a manufactured home? I don't know anything about trailers, but manufactured homes are built well....they're built to travel, as opposed to one built on site.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• modular homes are on a permenate foundation...and i believe have codes they have to meet (im trying to remember when my parents did this)
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would be reluctant to get a trailer because it's not on a foundation and won't have a basement for safety in storms and stuff. A manufactured home that is basically like a double-wide only on a foundation would be fine. I don't see a problem with either one if that's what you can afford to get. Owning is probably better than renting and having nothing to show for it at the end of a lease. If your MIL hates your house, maybe she won't come visit much ;)
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I grew up in a mobile home, so I have no issues with them. As long as person takes care of their home, why should anyone have a problem with them living in any kind? My mother bought a piece of land, and it was easier and cheaper to have a pre-manufactured home moved onto it than it was to build one from scratch. In my opinion, a person who lives in a nice suburb can be "trailer trash" just as easily as someone who lives in a mobile home. Case in point:

When my siblings and I would have friends over, they were often heard saying things like, "It looks like a real house in here", LOL. My mother was very house-proud, and it showed (in fact, that house is still in good condition over 30 years later). On the other hand, there was a family who lived up the road in a "real house", and the yard and interior were down right NASTY.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'm Queen of my Doublewide. The modular homes here are built with stricter guidelines than the site built, and we were able to get a 4 bed, 2 bath house, with more than an acre of land for about 1/3 of the cost of the equivalent with a site built. There are some REALLY nice modular homes out there.

I say get what you want and ignore everyone else. If they don't like your house, they don't have to come over. (Is that a bonus with your MIL?? LOL)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Just make sure you buy one that you can resell down the road if you decide to move.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it, especially since it will have the stability of a foundation. just make sure it meets the quality standards that you want and building codes that are required. and who cares what anyone else thinks. it will be yours and it's what you can afford right now.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009