schedule for my son help

ok ladies my son is 3 months old and i want to get him to sleep through the night any advice???? also if he gets up in the middle of the night to eat i want him to eat then go back to sleep how do i go about that??

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 10:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 6 months old. If he's getting up to eat try putting cereal in his formula or breastmilk so it will be thicker and stay in his tummy longer
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would suggest following "Babywise" or if you're against the CIO method try "The baby whisperer" by Tracy Hogg. I used Babywise with my son and The baby whisperer with my daughter. The schedules in them work great.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Cereal isn't the answer. It's ALL about the daily schedule.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Babywise methods are linked to failure to thrive. And crying it out is not recommended until six months MINIMUM.

If baby is sleeping five hours straight, he's sleeping through the night. Babies sleep when THEY are ready. What you do matters not a whit. The moms who followed methods? Didn't impact their childrens' sleep at all. Baby slept because baby was READY for it. Some babies are ready for it at six weeks, some aren't for 16 months or more.

I tried EVERYTHING out there including babywise. NONE of it worked on mine.

What DID work? Follow the baby's cues. Put baby down when sleepy. Instantly handle baby's needs upon waking. Baby will learn that you can be trusted to take care of his needs and will start sleeping longer. When I stopped worrying about how he slept, he started sleeping.

With most of year one, you have to forget what you WANT or what you think SHOULD happen...and go with the flow. YES, that WORKS.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• besides a schedule when she wakes up in the middle of the night dont turn on any lights so she knows its night night time
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I disagree. My babies both slept through the night by 6-8 weeks with different methods. The methods do work 96% of the time. I breastfed exclusively too. You can have the best of both worlds and you don't have to be overly tired and have an overtired baby every day. Like i said, if you are totally against the CIO method then take a look at Tracy Hogg's book. She's also against it and her methods work just as well.

My son whom i followed Babywise with was one of the fattest babies I've ever seen. I'm not sure where the failure to thrive stuff comes from.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• "My son whom i followed Babywise with was one of the fattest babies I've ever seen. I'm not sure where the failure to thrive stuff comes from. "

From the AAP, which recommends AGAINST this book.

I just know that I stressed myself out so much over my son's sleep...and when my mom told me to STOP worrying about it and STOP trying to force anything...he started sleeping more. But then...he's just like me. I was a non-sleeper too. Perhaps she was remembering that. She certainly was RIGHT, as always. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• ok im sorry but what is babywise?
    Crys2009

Answer by Crys2009 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• hmm... I read babywise before I had my son... some of it made sense to me and some of it didn't... I took what I thought were the best ideas from that book and used common sense. my son did sleep through the night early (between 2 and 3 months) but I think alot of that just has to do with his personality... he is on a very loose schedule during the day (when he gives me hunger cues I DO feed him no matter what the schedule says)... but we always start his day at the same time and have a "bedtime" routine every night

while my son was waking up frequently to eat he slept next to our bed to make things easier on both of us. when he woke up to eat I would leave the lights off put him in bed with me to nurse then return him to his bed next to ours... I didn't move him around alot for nighttime feedings and I only changed his diaper if I could tell he needed it... so he generally went right back to sleep...
    cayceswife

Answer by cayceswife at 11:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009