My 1 year old doesn't like to eat much and will eat a few bites then basically refuse to eat except for his milk.

We give him eggs, peanut butter, fruit, teddy grahams, etc etc and he will take a couple bites, be done, and play but then he gets fussy b/c he is hungry, and we try to give him snacks but he won't take anything but his bottle of milk (which we are trying to ween him off of, but that isn't working too well since he was sick last week, and he is getting used to the milk instead of formula). So he will take bottles, but not much food. How can I get him to eat more REAL food and not take a large amount from his bottles (which I try to limit to 3-8oz bottles per day).

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Breast milk or formula must be a child's primary source of nutrition for at least the first year. He needs it. It's perfectly normal. Weaning to primarily solids is a gradual thing.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 13 months old and our pedi just told us that it's a process...the baby doesn't know his age. He just knows that he's been getting bottle/booby for the last 12 months and doesn't understand why it's changing...I would just give him the table foods first and give some milk/formula in a sippy with his meal...My daughter still takes bottles throughout the day and 1-2 throughout the night....but after my pedi explained it to me in that way, I just decided to let her lead....I won't cut her off of anything "just because" she's over a year old...she doesn't know the difference...I think b/c she was so used to nursing for so long throughout the nite, that's what she's used to...anyway, another thing he suggested was to start mixing the whole milk with the bottle and also at night, start adding more and more water to it, that way, she won't see it as a reason to wake up anymore. Besides that, she's over the 90%...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• ....cont...for weight and height, so he's not concerned about her getting those extra calories....good luck :) and don't stress, just let him lead. Like my mom said to me earlier, "she won't be going to school with a bottle." exaggeration, but you get the idea :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• perhaps try switching him to a sippy cup during the day. I don't really know why this helped our son, but it seemed to help him eat more foods.

calliesmommie: I think "he won't be doing ------- when he's graduating high school" all the time! It helps me to not stress out as much about new developments that seem like they are never going to be achieved. It is an exaggerated statement- but sooo helpful when you are petrified of potty training:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• sippy cup of water- not milk. So he could drink when thirsty but not get as filled up as with milk.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Give food first...DONT give him his bottle before hand...wait till after he eats some food. I promise he won't starve himself! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009