What religious books would you recommend to teach your child about many different religions?

I am going to teach my son about my religion, but I want him to make a educated decision about what he wants. I want books that will tell both the good and the bad. The major problem is, is that I willnot be able to tell him anything good about certain religions, because I have never experienced anythign good from them, so I want to make sure that he has all the info that he needs. Thank you for your answers.

Kaelansmom

Asked by Kaelansmom at 10:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know of any that are all inclusive, but I do have a book for my daughter called "A child's book of blessings and prayers". It has pretty peaceful pictures and small prayers and quotes from many different people of many different faiths. There are unitarian, christian,muslim, jewish, pagan, and native american examples. I like how it blends and shows that they are all really saying the same things, just with different names:D
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 10:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I am a big fan of the Everything Paganism, Idiots Guide To Wicca & Witchcraft, Paganism for Dummies and almost anything in those series. All of them have religion categories and all of them are awesome. I have a good number of them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'd say Gods Word... The Bible. NIV version or NKJ versions
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• The bible truly gives everything you need to know about other religions.
    UAFwife

• Answered at 12:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 by: UAFwife
    The bible truly gives everything you need to know about other religions.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really do share? Because honestly, the Bible doesn't get too deep into Hinduism.

Kaelansmom...how old is your son? Also, do you think maybe reading books on your level could help? I can give you more examples of those than for you son.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If you believe in your religion, why do you not want your children to believe the same and practice it? And if you think that there is "bad" in any particular religion then why would you even want to consider it as part of your life? Faith is a spiritual concept not necessarily an intellectual process.
    Please don't take this a put down, but it seems to me that you may cause your child more confusion than anything else.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 2:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Answered at 2:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 by: jessa1091

What you just said is a common misconception about religion. Religion in order to give someone true transcendence must be a duality. There needs to be both good and bad in it. For example, God must be both vengeful and forgiving. If there is not this sense of transcendence people will look elsewhere.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Thank you for all your answers.

OneToughMami: My son is three, but by three, my parents were already indoctrinating me. I was pressured and i don't want him to feel the same way.

jessa1091: i want to let him decide. I will teach him my religion as well, but if my path is not right for him, I want him to have the right information on what he may feel is his path. He may not feel the same pull to the gods as I do.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 12:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Kaelansmom, there's a lot out there. Your library might have a section for religion in the kid's area. I can see what titles I have.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009