If YOU could pick your future child's career what would it be?

My friend and I were talking about this today. I hadn't really thought about it before. I've always just thought that my children could be anything they want to be whether that's a teacher, the president, a doctor, a nurse, a hair stylist, or a janitor! As long as they are happy I'm happy.

My friend said she would be disappointed in her children if they chose careers that make less than 100k a year. I thought that was kind of weird but maybe it's just me.

I'd like the opinions of other moms...Do you want your child to have a spacific career?

If YOU got to choose for them what would you chose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• joining the service
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 10:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i would just want her to pick somethingshe generally enjoys doing. the income doesnt matter..thats a little silly she'd say over 100k does she make that? well anywho..i would want her to just pick something that makes her happy..i have no expectations for her other than to be a great person all around.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• If I could pick it for him? Zoologist, specializing in birds. Because that's what he ADORES. I don't care about the pay.

I had more than enough pressure form my dad to become a lawyer because of the pay. I didn't want anything to do with law school. I won't do that to my kiddo. He gets to do what he loves.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yeah, your friend's answer is odd. It sounds materialistic.

I would not pick my childrens' jobs even if I could. As long as they do something that makes them happy, makes them feel productive and proud, and makes a difference in their lives and others, then I would be happy and proud for them. When my daughter, who is now 7-1/2, was 4, she said she wanted to grow up to be a "Walmart worker." lol. I told her if that is what she wanted to do, then she could do it...at least she'd have a job. Before I became who I am today, I started out in odd and end jobs that I have no problem with my children deciding to work one day if they wanted. Although, now our daughter says she wants to be a doctor, a nurse, a teacher, and a mommy! lol!
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 11:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• She's actually a SAHM but her DH probably makes about 400K + a year. I don't know the exact amount he makes but her and I were discussing budgets a while back and from the information she told me he has to make at least that.

I thought it was weird too. I mean I would rather my kid be a cashier at a small grocery store in town making 7 dollars an hour for the rest of their life and HAPPY than working as a CEO and miserable but hey I guess we all want different things for our kids??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Hypothetical situation~ If I HAD to choose my daughters career... based off of who she is, I would say either dr, nurse, or something along those lines. I say this because she is so caring, and she always has to check her babies for "fections" and gives them their medicine. Its just to cute.
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 11:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Dang with a dad making that much and a mom expecting nothing less...I see a very gloomy future for their kids. It's usually kids from families like that who end up growing up with depression and have a high suicide rate because of the pressure they feel to exceed their parents' expectations. I hope they will not pressure their kids as they grow up. I've seen these outcomes before, and they are so sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I thought it would be cool to have them be a doctor or dentist or veterinarian- but whatever they wanted to be, as long as they were satisfied.

Answer by Bmat at 11:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Is there a career that involves testing out toy car's durability and how quickly a jungle gym can be climbed?? if so- my son is the ideal candidate.

You can pay him in bananas, Elmo's World DVDs or with tickles.

I just hope my son does something that he truly enjoys and doesn't get too caught up in making money. My husband and I earn enough to get buy and only work minimal hours each week. This allows us to be with our son while he's young. Once he is in school we can focus on working full time hours and making full time cash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i would love to see my daughter become a lifeguard, or a veterinarian.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009