How to memorialize a pet who died???

I had to have my little Sophie put to sleep, and I am still grieving.
Dr. Phil said on his show last week that you need to make a memorial for your pet with its picture.
But, I have no picture of her!
Please tell me your stories about how you dealt with the grief of losing a beloved pet......Maybe that will help me decide what I can do.
Thank you!

OldnWiseMom

Asked by OldnWiseMom at 10:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pets

• No pictures of her? :[
    That's rough.

When my baby Luna died, I posted a long journal. How I felt about her passing, how she passed, what I miss about her, what I regret, how much I love her, what drove me insane about her, what I loved.. the date and time that she passed. Everything. I still have it and I'll always have it. I read it occasionally.
    I did post a few pics of her with it as well.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My son had his cat cremated and has a little box with the remains on his mantel. We bury our cats and put a large stone over the grave. I lost my cat a year ago and am still grieving. I do have a picture, I am using it on CafeMom, and it isn't helping, I'm afraid. I am thinking that maybe I'll change to something else so that I don't have the constant reminder of my dear little animal companion who died too soon.

Answer by Bmat at 11:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I was thinking, if you google cats and look at the hundreds or thousands of pictures of cats that you can find, maybe you'll find one close to your kitty? Then you could have a picture that is close, anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 11:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• we always had a funeral. Some one would dig the hole in the back yard, we'd all gather round say a prayer and a few words. Then some one would cover the animal. Later we'd have a meal in their honor and sit around and talk about the pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i got a solar power light ( a small one) an placed it outside my kitchen window an when i went to the kitchen at night id see the light an think of her :) it is rought the first couple times seeing it but then you start to think of all the happy times with them :) the light has been going on every night for the past 5 years :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 11:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yeah, I am kookie...I'm getting a paw print on my arm with a pink heart for my dog and a purple one for my cat...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:23 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine not having pictures. I have them all over my house. Did your vet offer to do a clay paw for you? One thing i do is either find garden flags with an animal that looks like mine or i have one made with their picture and i fly them certain times of the year. I break it up because we have lost 6 in the past 7 years. I have not done this yet because i want to wait until we actually own a house but i plan on making a garden in their honer and i am going to put some pet stones in it.

Two years ago our aussie passed very unexpectedly leaving my daughters and my heart broken. I had my daughter help me make a shadow box in his honer. It does have pictures but it also has his coller and a fe other small things that remind us of him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• my mom had a dachshund for 15yrs she had pictures but was workin out of state when the dog died..luckily they were in tennessee and there is a company there that creamates animals and its not very expensive..this is just a thought all you do is contact the man he tells you how to prepare the dog for transport and everything he has had many people from all over the world send him their loved pets and in return he sends their remains in a beautiful urn...my mom could not bare to leave her baby in another state so far from home so this was the best option for her..i would highly recommend this to anyone and will seriously consider it if something happens to one of mine...you might could find this company online by searching bc im not sure of the name..i hope this works if you are interested..good luck and best wishes, i am so sorry for your loss
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009