cold remedies...

my 17 month old caught my cold :(
other than a humidifier, bulb syringe ( which he is refusing) and vapor rub (on the onesie and feet) got any other remedies? he isnt running a fever. anything he can drink which might help some?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ginger Ale (Canada Dry is best) and water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• there is really nothing that you cna do with them beeing so little.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• camomile tea, hot steam from showers, place a phone book under his mattress to elevate him tylenol at night so he gets some rest
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I know it is not recomended because people where killing their kids. Benadryl same dose as you would give tylenol. Only do it at night cause you want that crap to come out or they wont get better. It will help them sleep and breath. Be very careful, when My daughter was an infant I would give less than the right dose and it worked. Start with half or 3/4 of what they need, if it works stick to that. I am not a dr though. Use your own judgement. It worked great for me, I felt like if they didn't sleep they aren't gonna get better. Give em gatorade too. Keep em hydrated.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• for a cough you can try honey (seeing as your son is over 1 year old) It is a natural cough suppressant. Peppermint tea (I like it strong and as warm as they will take it) can help with a sore throat. Broth soup (mama was right chicken noodle works) is also helpful. As others have mentioned, elevate the bed a little, humidifier, and push fluids (keeps the mucus runny). If the cough is keeping him up? If so I'd take him in and see if the doc can prescribe anything. Mine gave us a cough medicine that we used once to calm the cough. My son got a good night sleep (first for us all in like 3 days) and was much better for the rest.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• the coughing is more from the stuffy nose, like if he needs a break from mouth breathing to swalloe therefore he coughs ya know? so i'm not that concerned. it's more of a stuffy nose right now. thank you ladies for your help! I wasnt sure if he could have a small amt of herbal tea, but i was thinking about ofering some. I have peppermint tea which would be great to clear him up. I am heading to the store for some chicken broth
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:36 AM on Sep. 28, 2009