Both kids coughing ALL NIGHT. Does anything work for cough?

None of us are sleeping.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• try putting vicks on their feet and cover them with socks. Seriously, I know it sounds weird but it works! Use a humidifier if you have one.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Dimtap works well, Triminc doesn't work for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• how old are your kids? they cant have anything for a cough till there 3. try a humidifier(?) that helped my little one so much. you can also prop them up where there not flat it helps to open the air ways. good luck hope you guys get some sleep.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• What has helped us is elevating while sleeping, running a humidifier and Benedryl.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Take them to the doctor if it's that bad. Seriously. Don't do any OTC stuff unless your doctor specifically tells you to, along with a dosage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• An all night cough- my son had this and was diagnosed with bronchospasm (sp?). An asthma inhaler helped. None of the so called cough suppressants helped him. Assuming that your little ones have colds and not asthma, then what I ended up using for coughs due to colds was honey with a little lemon mixed in. About a half teaspoon. The honey soothed, and the lemon helped cut the phlegm.

Answer by Bmat at 11:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• OP: Thanks, this is helpful. They are 5, 6. I've got them elevated and Tylenol for fevers and humidifiers don't work for us, don't know why. I'll try some of these ideas. Doc in the morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The vick thing does work my OB professor told me that. If it is a congestion, flemmy cough benadryl works wonder. BE VERY CARE, especially if they are young and the dose is the same as for tylenol. Error on the side of too little than too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• ok if your kids are over 1 try mixing a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice and it works just as well as cough syrup- or triaminic is good for 4 and up (it used to be 2 but they changed it after too many parents showed that they couldnt read a damn label and give the right dosage) good luck
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My dad used to make honey and lemon tea for me when I was sick, the honey and lemon were good for coughs and sore throats. Sleeping with the head elevated, a humidifier, and push fluids. For my kids I rub baby vicks on them (the regular one is too strong for my son with sensory issues). We use Delsym grape for coughs - it is a 12hr cough syrup.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009