How can i get my family to eat better?

I want my family to eat good food and be healthy.

we6r1-4ever

Asked by we6r1-4ever at 11:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Don't buy junk. They can't eat what you don't buy.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We went Vegan for a while. I still choose to eat that way but ever so often the kids get meat and dairy but I make sure the portion size is the correct size for them. The whole vegan thing made them see veggies in a new light and it is less of a fight now, They even like some veggies. lol
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 11:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Check out my blog. I record everything I feed my family.

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

There are healthy recipes, budget recipes, vegan and vegetarian recipes, quick and easy recipes, etc

When you go shopping, don't go down the aisles. All the healthy food is in the perimeter. Don't have snacks in the house that are packaged. If you're starving, have some fruit. Have some carrot and celery sticks. Not hungry for fruit or veggies? Then you're not really hungry. That was the snack rule when I was a kid and it's the rule in my house now.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• LOL legal....thats a good start! I have taken to buying the 100 calorie snack packs for lunch boxes and snack food. I make a weekly trip to the fruit stand for apples, carrots, oranges...ect....my kids like veggies tho. I also went to kraftfoods.com and they have a healthy eating section with recipes. They are really easy and the ones I have tried have been really good. Also..my mom had a diabetes scare and totally changed her diet and I have been taking Q's from her. Whole wheat breads and low or no sugar drinks and low carbs. I think anywhere you can cut sugars and replace with veggie you are taking a step forward! Good Luck!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No fast food and don't buy anything with more than 3 ingredients.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• we limit junk food. I have two teens that hover around the car when they know I go shopping. I go every two weeks for the major part (have to get milk, bread other small things every week) and get little junk. Once it's gone they have to wait. Also if possible make from scratch and not processed. I'm guilty of that when I had two kids playing soccer and did it 6 out of 7 days. I still use processed stuff but very little. I have yogurt, different fruits and veggies available anytime. Plus dips for them since my son still fights about that. Switch over to whole grains if your not using them now.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Feed your family a variety of different foods. Everyone, even kids, get tired of the same old thing, and then they quite eating it. Try something like Pizza Pasta Toss, Zucchini Crisps, or Italian Chicken Rigatoni. All are super easy and always a hit, even with picky eaters. You can find all the recipes and more at the Faithful Dinners website, www.faithfuldinners.com.
    faithfuldinners

Answer by faithfuldinners at 9:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Variety and color! Sounds silly, but true. My kids will eat any veggie if they have ranch dip or cheese dip (not processed cheese) to dip it in. Try both raw and steamed veggies to see what they like better. I put cut fruit on the dinner table- watermelon, cantalope, even sliced apples and peanut butter! Try grilled cheese on good bread and home made sauce to dip it in. Try different colored peppers-green/red/yellow (that have it pre sliced, frozen at Safeway) with grilled chicken, rice, beans and sour cream for make your own fajita night! Or make what you make now more healthy- use ground turkey instead of ground beef, use real cheese and make home made mac and cheese. My boys eat tons of pasta and beans!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Don't buy junk; cut way way on meat and dairy; don't buy beverages. Purchase and prepare healthy foods. Meal plan before you shop. Here are the guidelines we follow:

Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2009