Would you be angry...?

Would you be angry if a child in your child's class told them that Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy wasn't real? My son doesn't believe in any of these, and my friend was saying she'd be really angry if another kid told her children that it wasn't real. What do you think? (Oh, and my son is the kind of kid who WILL tell other children)

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 11:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Holidays

• You can't controle what your kids say. You can do your best to encourage them not to say things, but it doesn't always work. There will always be "that kid" who spills the beans. Don't worry too much about how upset this mom will be. If it gets her that upset, she should go get professional help. I don't think it's such a big deal. Everyone finds out sooner or later!
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 12:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, I wouldn't be thrilled about it personally. When my boys were younger, I tried to teach them that there were some things that they shouldn't tell. You don't tell the ending to a book or a movie. You don't tell the punch line to a joke that someone else is telling. You don't tell a secret that you promised not to tell. Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, all of those things are like a secret that you don't tell. Eventually all kids learn the truth, but I'd really prefer my kids didn't spoil it for anyone else........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:25 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would be upset.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would be upset.

You can't control what your child does, but you can expalin why other kids think these characters are real and why it is important to not "spoil the fun" for them.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I agree with aklebeyers...my hubby and I are not really sure we want to go this route anyway.....tell them all this fantasy stuff is real...only to tell them otherwise later. Just doesn't seem right to me. JMO
    Jakesmom1107

Answer by Jakesmom1107 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would be upset about it for sure. I think it is apart of being a kid and i want my daughter to hold onto that for as long as she can. If a family does not believe in any of that and their kids know the truth and thinik the parents need to make sure that their kids understand that others have differant beliefs and even if they know the truth they should not ruin it for others.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would be upset. Kids figure it out for themselves...there's no reason for another person, child or adult to ruin it for them. There are some beliefs that people should decide for themselves and respect the rights of others to decide for themselves. My kids believe in Santa, Easter bunny, etc., and when the day arrives that they no longer do, I will explain to them that while they now know the truth, there's no reason for them to go telling everyone.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How old are they?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How sad to take away fantasy or dreams from childhood. Ofcourse it would make a lot less work for the parents not to give them that. =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It has nothing to do with "less work" I just see it as lying to my son. I think it's a lot easier to just let them believe what everyone else tells them. Every time someone asks "What's Santa bringing you for Christmas?" I have to explain we don't "do" Santa. We still get a tree, decorate it, put out the gifts, wrap them etc. and we still color and hide eggs, just without the fictional characters. I plan on trying to tell my son NOT to spoil it for other children, but his demeanor indicates it doesn't matter what I say. Children have minds of their own, especially mine.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009