A couple of questions about babies around 1 year old and what they can or cannot eat

My baby will be one in a week and a half, and she's still not eating a lot of solids, or much of anything yet, so I've got questions. I know that whole milk before 1 is a no-no, but I was wondering how old your baby was before you gave him or her milk. My daughter was lactose intolerant when she was born (I am, still) and has only recently been able to handle dairy at all. So how slowly should I introduce her to whole milk when I start giving it to her?

Also, when can you give babies real oatmeal, like the Quaker kind with fruit and stuff? My daughter HATES baby cereal lol, refuses to eat any of it no matter what I mix with it. Can she have real cereal with formula mixed with it? (Like Cheerios and her soy formula?) I know that's a weird one, but I was thinking about breakfast lol.

One last thing, I've read and heard different things about eggs. Can she have eggs now? Some say yes, some say no! Even baby websites! Thanks!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was eating EVERYTHING by one year old. He was "lactose intolerant"He was on soy formula and that didn't help. I put him on real milk at 8 months- the spitting up, indigestion, etc. ended immediately. He never even ate baby food, hated the cereal (have you tried it? It's disgusting) He was eating eggs, strawberries, all those "allergenic" foods except peanut butter- too thick and honey- botulism by one year. Do what you think will work for your child. My son ate mashed potatoes at 3 months. Give her some scrambled eggs! Feed the baby!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• For all the things that baby wasn't supposed to eat until 1... my son had a little bit of. Like.. milk in mashed potatoes. Scrambled egg whites with a little yolk... *shrugs*
    The only thing he never had was honey and peanut butter until, I think a month after a year. Mainly because I have a severe allergic reaction to peanuts, and for the honey.. well because I didn't want to risk botulism.
    Oatmeal wise - I always gave him Quaker too. Those instant packets, where it has strawberries in it or whatever. He was fine. They were soft enough that he didn't choke or anything. Think he started oatmeal when he was 9 months?
    For the cheerios, sure. Just soften it up with the formula so it's chewy but not super soggy - then it'll probably be the consistency of baby cereal. You can do Kix too, same thing. Make it chewy/soggy almost.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yogurts are good too~!
    Just gauge your child out. If she's okay with mashing, try mashed potatoes. Softened up carrots - boiled or steamed.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My daughter does not like milk at all..(her father and I also dislike milk) but i feed her yogurt and cheese so she can get her dairy. And she is 13months and has been eating table food around 6months...Now she eats about everthing we eat. except like meat i know she cant really chew. Your daughter should be able to eat whatever you eat now if you want her to. and my daughter loves to eat scrambled eggs. As long as the eggs are fully cooked, its fine to feed them to her.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Have you taken her to the doctor for her one year well check?? They can answer all of these questions for you...My doctor advised that the only thing she was to continue to stay away from was peanut butter and honey...everything else was a go...however, every baby is different in their needs...I think you should check with your doctor, especially if there is a lactose intolerance. Many other things could be upsetting, especially, if she's not on a lot of solids...honestly, the bland things should be introduced first....avocados, bananas, sweet potatoes. If she hasn't had a lot, I wouldn't just start giving her "whatever." just my opinion...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Pure Honey is always a no.. its not good for any kids.

Milik you can introduce slowly, that's what I had to do. My daughter was on soy formula

She ended up not being able to have milk so she is on silk vanilla and eats that with everything.

Shes now 3.

She has oatomeal at 2 1/2 cause of her being allegric to different things.

I always gave her cheerios, she was allegric to the gerber puffs, masshed potaotoes, bread, hot dogs pilled of skin/ and the circle cut in 4s around one. But after one eveyrthing is a go besides Pure Honey and Peanut Butter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• OP here. Thanks so much ladies! I thought it was ok, but wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask for other mom's opinions.

She hasn't been for her 1 year, but the lactose intolerance started clearing up around 8 months, I think. I asked her pediatrician at her 9 month check up about dairy, and he said to just go slow at first, and if she didn't have a negative reaction, it was all good. I didn't ask about eggs, though. I totally forgot. I know about the peanut butter and honey, though. I just wasn't sure about stuff like oatmeal lol. Everyone keeps telling me to give her what I eat, but sometimes she just doesn't want to eat. She ate every kind of baby food, basically, except a few she didn't like. Now, she just doesn't seem interested in them and wants to feed herself, but half the time she won't, so I was looking for ideas of new things to try for her that may be more appetising And yeah, I've tried the baby cereal. Gross!.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009