Can a 3 yr old REALLY have ADHD??

my 3 yr old is VERY active. (as i thought all little boys are) but some family members say hes too active and hyper... i dont know, im a sahm, and just use to handling him this way. hes up at 8am and on the go till he crashes at 8pm. no naps during the day sence he was just over 2yrs. he speeks very well and always asks questions. hes very very smart. (he actully has Aspergers(im not sure i spelled that right) but hes a good boy most of the time, just very hyper. no one else can handle him but he and my hubby. my sister said i should consider meds for him to calm him some, but i dont want him walking around like a zombie, or becoming addictided to anything. any advice? maybe someone has a child with ADHD can give an oppion on meds?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 11:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 3 is WAY too young to diagnose with ADHD. My son is everywhere all the time and he's almost 3. Medication is a bad idea so young! If he's developing ok, and YOU don't think there's a problem, then don't worry. He's your son, not anyone elses. What the heck do they know? People have told me my son has ADHD, bipolar, blah blah blah. Just wait it out, if he hasn't calmed down by 6, then you might want to have him looked at. Can he focus on one thing for more than 3 minutes? Like playing a game with you, or one toy? If so, it's probably not ADHD.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• if you are handling it, I don't see any reason to change anything till a teacher (you know, a professional who deals with children) says something. My family occasionally voices concern for my son as well, but since none of them stay at home with a child, I really don't think they have any idea of a "normal" energy level of a child who gets exercise regularly. My son's Head Start teacher has no worrys about it so I don't worry either.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• the only thing my son can focus on for more then 3 minutes is his hotwheels (thats his thing, he has to have them) we use his cars as a learning tool because he is atuistic its hard to keep his attention in the first place. but i just dont think he needs meds for anything. hes super smart, and very loving. thanks for your replys!
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 11:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My sister n law told me the same thing when my daughter was 2! Then the tables turned and she now has her own 2 year old! She keeps her mouth shut now! People forget what it is like to have children your sons age. Keep leaning on other moms who have children the same age. Then you can walk together through your experiances. Few people want to watch children in the 2/3 age group because they are so active! You keep hanging in there...it's a hard age! Be patient and encourage positive behavior. You will get through this. My daughter is 3 and just started pre-school and dance class. It's been a world of difference for her!
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 12:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I had a child in my 3 year old class whom had been diagnosed with ADHD and took medication for it. So no it's not too early. While I have seen kids, and hyper kids, His was more than just being a normal kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is not too early to notice the signs, but most dr's will not diagnose it until later on, preferably school age. That does not mean they can not have it. Sometimes you can tell from birth on. In one book I read, it said you can even tell during pregnancy. My dd has been that way from birth. The nurse told me the day she was born ""Oh, you are gonna have fun with this one...she is a difficult one"- and she ALWAYS has been. But she is super smart, fun, creative, loud, hyper, hilarious, so much personality and character. But I swear she has been ADHD from day 1.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 12:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Oh, forgot to add, we use a holistic pediatrician who does not believe in medicating kids with ADHD. She told us to use Calm Child Syrup and Barleans Omega 3 Fish Oil smoothie supplement. We have seen a GREAT improvement in her behavior and impulse control without it changing who she is.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 12:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I didn't read through all the posts, but I skimmed a couple. I have to disagree and say that YES - a 3 yr old can have ADHD, and, yes, in SOME cases, it can be diagnosed. ADHD is a chemical imbalance in the brain - it's not something that you "get" or "catch" or anything like that. You're born with it, and some have it to a greater degree than others, which makes it more easy to diagnose early.

There are MANY kids who are NOT ADHD who are diagnosed with it, when there are other issues at play, but that doesn't mean that this is the case for all kids. My ds was diagnosed as ADHD when he was 2. There were SEVERAL Dr, and LOTS of testing that went into his diagnosis. We used meds as just one of many tools to handle it - we did a lot of behavioral and diet modifications, all sorts of stuff too long to get into here. We used meds very sparingly, and eventually he was able to go off the meds.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• He is now a very happy, well adjusted, smart, active, popular and polite 16 yr old boy - and he's not been on meds since he was 7.

We have had MANY Drs tell us that one of the best things we did for our son was we were able to catch it and address it early enough that a lot of the secondary issues that go with it (that actually end up causing more of the problems than the actual ADHD does) - such as social interaction issues, self esteem issues, etc, didn't have a chance to really "lock in" so to speak.

If you're concerned, talk to his Dr. Then, ask for a second opinion and ask them, too. Ask if he can see a Behavioral Specialist and / or a child psychologist.

Then go from there. GL!

btw - would you say, just because a child wasn't old enough to read, they were too young to need glasses? This is a similar thing!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Oh, one other thing - if your child is ADHD, while you need to understand it and make adjustments for it, do NOT allow it to become a crutch or an excuse. Yes, it does make some things harder, but on the other hand, ADHD kids are frequently very smart, their energy can be a bonus (if they're taught to channel it in appropriate ways), they tend to be very creative and can "think outside the box", and, again, if they learn to channel it and control it and not let it control them, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. There are lots of very successful people who showed traits of ADHD :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2009