Why oh why does this happen?

I just looked up one of my good guy friends from high school on Facebook. This kid was the sweetest guy ever and was one of the guys in high school who never tried to bother anyone. He was a good looking guy, but he never tried to hurt girls or break their hearts. He was just a really good all-around guy. He was even nominated for Who's Who Most Dependable and Sweetest. So, I found him on Facebook, and he's all thugged out and throwing up gang signs. This saddens me. This guy was not stupid. He could have had a good future. He was smart and was in several of my honors courses. Now he's screwed up his whole future! It's just sad....
Why does this have to happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Dunno... they just want to "fit in" and be "accepted"... pretty stupid to me... why would you be proud to be GHETTO? its not all its cracked up to be... i am so glad to have gotten away from areas and people like this...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• WOW you gathered that he "screwed up his whole future" from a picture??? Maybe you should be working for the CIA, you seem to be able to gather a lot of info from a picture!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from. People don't realize just how many people look at that as a symbol of who you are. When we were hiring people a while back, we always checked out their facebook or myspace page. If they looked bad there, we didn't offer them a job... simple as that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Odd question for this section but anyway..It happens and hopefully the boy will come to his senses soon.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yes, I can gather that because he isn't the only kid from our high school who was or is involved in gangs. One of my friends, who I never knew was involved in gangs because he was older than I was by 3 yrs. and he never talked about gang activity at school, ended up in prison because of his Crip activities. Not something you normally hear about in Alabama.
    And anytime someone is in a gang, it is screwing up their lives. I'm originally from Southern California and know all about gangs. Luckily, I have never dealt with them on a personal level, but I grew up around them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• How does one go about throwing up gang signs?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• WOW you gathered that he "screwed up his whole future" from a picture???

That is what I was going to say. And I think basing hiring standards on what their facebook or myspace looks like is stupid. What someone does in their personal life is no one else's business. OR is there a new law I don't know about??? *sarcasm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• anon 10:36- Its not stupid. You can tell a lot about a person by how they present themselves online. For instance a job that would require and early shift most likely would not want to hire someone who is out partying all night and likely hung over or too tired to get up the next morning. Employers want to make sure their employees make the company look good, and if you look like a jack ass on your social website page and don't care then you may not care about your job! Its all about discretion. What you choose to do in your personal life reflects on your character plain and simple.

OP I don't know why that happens! My hubby and I have been wondering the same thing about some of the kids we went to school with that have ended up in prison and what not. It is really sad.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• He couldn't have been that "smart" if he ended up a thug. Anybody that joins a gang isn't known for being very bright. Gang bangers have little man's syndrome.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sorry but I know ALOT of idoits that trhrow up gang signs but have NOTHING to do with the gang,.
    He is probably just a wanna be trying to fit in .
    It aint high school anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009