why is my 15 month old little girl hitting herself and pulling her hair?

She's been doing this for about a month now. It's usually when she's not getting her way but sometimes she just does it out of nowhere...this is my 4th child and I've not seen this before...

stina767

Asked by stina767 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter does it too when she isnt getting her way. but doesnt like actually pull her hair out. its kinda funny but im like no addy thats not nice. i have no clue why they do this. my niece had a serious hair pulling problem. she had a bald spot. i think her problem was caused by stress. but other than that i have no clue. im sorry i was no help just lettin u kno im in the same boat haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My daughter use to do that, she would hit her head purposely on the wall when she didn't get her way, or pull her hair. It was strange, but after a couple months she just stopped doing it. I use to get mad at her when she did it, but I learned to just be like if you do that it's gonna hurt, and let her go about her business. As long as it was going to seriously injure her I let her do it to learn, and she just outgrew it in time.
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My daughter is 13 months and has done that a few times. My niece was really prone to doing that as well. She grew out of it though and I bet yours will too. Im sure its just one of those negative actions some kids are prone to when they are having tantrums... when they are just stressed out and cant express their frustrations in any other way. i was pretty shocked when I saw my neice and then my daughter do it.. Its just strange.. but i think if we put ourselves in their position.... having the limitations they have verbally and so forth than its easy to understand.
    AmyJoost

Answer by AmyJoost at 12:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• DS is 15 months and he will sometimes do that out of frustration (he hits the sides of his head with both hands) and makes a bratty "UH" sound.
    I treat it the same way as if he were hitting some one else. I tell him not to hit and then if he does it again (which he will only do if he is TRYING to be rude) he gets a time out.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• When she does this it's a coping mechanism. She is so young and she has not yet mastered vocabulary and her emotions. She understands that she doesn't like the way she is feeling, she can't tell you, and it frustrates her. Children do the same this when they are tired sometimes as well. They will hit their head on the crib to sooth themselves, and older children will sometimes stroke their hair to fall asleep (my 2 year old son does this.) . What you can do when she does this is just to kneel down close to her level, give her a hug and tell her you understand how she feels, and that she must be having a tough time right now. Suggest a fun activity. Pick her up, cuddle her a minute and say, "How about some finger painting?" Take this as a sign of her intelligence, she can recognize a bad feeling and she tries to expel it so she can be happy again. I hope this helps!
    KorisMum

Answer by KorisMum at 9:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2009