Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Research on rights for support & visitation

Where can I do research on paternal rights for a child born out of wedlock in America? I know where to find the legal books and other jargon, but I wondered of there are websites that take that jargon and turn it into layman's terms. I appreciate your help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • If the father is on the birth certificate and they want to see the child, they have rights, and you have to go to court for visitation. If they're not on the birth certificate, then they don't have rights. They can go to court and have a paternity test ordered, and thereby get rights.

    Don't know of any websites like that.

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

  • OP here-- the hospital gave us a certificate of birth but not an official birth certificate. It was just a souvenier really, with my son's foot & hand prints and the father and I wrote in the rest of the info. I received something in the mail asking for $12 and then the state would send me an official certificate. I have yet to do this and no paternity test has been ordered.

    Thanks for your help Annabel.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

  • They should have brought forms for you to sign in the hospital. This is when you would have put the father's name down....or not. That is how they create the official birth certificate that you have to order. Your doctor signed those forms, and so did you. (You may not remember with all that goes on in the hospital.) Definitely order the birth certificate.

    Just because you haven't ordered the certificate, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, that just means you don't have an official copy. Your hospital would file the forms. The father can even order a copy, if he knows the baby's name and birthdate.

    I suggest a consultation with a lawyer. Good Luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.