okay wait what am i missing? (roman polanski arrest)

he was charged with rape in 1977, fled to Europe... he just now gets arrested in Switzerland? its not like they didnt know where he was for the past 30 years! i dont get it, im obviously missing some detail

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 12:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He left the States just before he was to be sentenced. He has been in France all this time. He could not be extradited from France. He & his lawyers wanted to appeal his conviction, the judge said come on back here, and I'll hear the appeal. He would not come back. Then he was to get a lifetime achievement award at a film event in Switzerland, so the US put out another, updated arrest warrant and he was arrested when he went to Switzerland to receive his award.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I was wondering that to! I mean i don't understand why switzerland would arrest him? I mean whats the point now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Extradition laws vary from country to country. You just can't go into someone else's country and take people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• oh, i thought thats what interpol did, but i just looked it up and they have to follow extradition laws. stupid roman, he should have known better :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• He's been "protected" for years by French collaborations - Hell Hollywood would have you believe that his drugging and raping a 13 year old girl was just a tragic love story - Problem is - believe it or not - this is about to become Obama's problem. Hollywood loves him and they love Polanski - if this happened at the insistence of the US - Obama is right in the middle of it because he'll either have to face the fire because he's extradited their beloved Polanski OR he'll have to say he has no interest in punishing a man for raping a child..... either way he's screwed ..... wonder if this was a conspiracy too? LOL The pervert needs to go to jail for what he did - even if the "girl", now a grown woman HAS forgiven him. What the hell kind of message do we send to our kids if we don't nail that man's nuts to the floor for what he did?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sorry, I don't believe an adult and a 13 yo is appropriate ever. Roman knows it's not either, hence his absence from the US for 30 years. It's not being unfair, it's called the law, and the law says the 13 yo was a minor, and Roman was an adult. Rape, plain and simple, from a literate, capable adult who knew better, and fled when he got caught. To me, that is the act of someone who knows they are guilty, no matter what romantic tripe they attempt to cloak it in.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 2:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• LiliM, I am all for the laws being upheld but he fled because the judge was going to renege on a plea agreement that was made and accepted by all the parties. There's more to the story than just "big, bad Roman."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• he didn't serve his time. He fled before he was sentenced. I don't believe that they need the girl's testimony anymore since it was a felony arrest. He should have to pay just like other criminals that do what he did. Too bad he didn't have the balls to face the music when he did. If this becomes an issue now in our courts he will be labeled a sex offender. Luckily he doesn't reside here and we won't have to deal with his perverted azz.

Besides, I wouldn't care what the victim has to say anymore, she has been bought and paid for (reaching an undisclosed settlement).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It was inappropriate ...but she did say it was consensual, she wanted it to happen,and she also said it was silly to prosecute him at one point. And I don't see why anyone would bring up the President in this issue. Crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Anon. 10:21... How can a 13 year old have consensual sex with an adult? It doesn't matter if she says she wanted it to happen, she was 13! As the adult, it's his job to know better, he deserves to be punished.
    syfymom

Answer by syfymom at 11:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2009