WhERE DO i START

WELL I 'LL START BY SAYING I TOO MY 8 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER THAT WILL BE 9 IN JANUARY, TO HER YEARLY CHECK UP AN THE DR. TOLD ME THAT SHE IS ALREADY IN STAGE 2OF PUBERTY, I FIGURED I SHOULD MAYBE HAVE THAT TALK WITH HER, BUT NOT SURE WHERE TO START AN HOW TO DO IT,SHE DOES HAVE SOME OF THE MOOD SWING AN HER BREAST IS STARTING TO DELELOP, I NEED TO KNOW IF SHE SHOULD STRAT WITH TRAINING BRA'S AN ECT.. IM SO CONFUSED, AN MAYBE SOMEONE COULD HELP ME IN WHERE TO START, AN MAY YOU'LL KNOW A GOOD WEB SITE TO HELP ME ALONG, THANK YOU FOR HELPING!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Our Bodies, Ourselves" and the American Girls book series have great books on puberty, hygiene, tampons, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, its really not as bad as you may think..... yes, start with a training bra of some sort, what ever she is comfortable in, and deodorant. As for talking to her, well, only you know what she understands best, but dont overwhelm her quite yet. I have a 13 y/o girl and a 9 y/o girl, and the 13 y/o has made it thru the worst of it all and the 9 y/o is freaked out by the word period, and the idea that blood comes from "there" lol....kids are funny. You probably have some time before her actual period, so just start with the your body is changing and go from there. You may find that she has some questions and just answer them as she asks in what ever language she understands. Dont freak yourself out, that makes it worse. Just talk..... about everything and it will be fine :) Good Luck Momma
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• make sure she knows she can ask you any question and you will do your best to give an honest answer. this is the time in your relationship when the communication between you is most important and tested. She needs to feel comfortable and safe asking and telling you anything. Don't freak out or that will just make her freak out too and possibly feel ashamed or that she has done someting wrong.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 9:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree that the American Girl book is GREAT for answering questions and explaining things to girls. AND it's not just about all the 'woman' stuff but about being a well groomed, well-rounded girl. My daughter really likes it.

I was told by my ped at 8 that she was starting to grow some hair down there. she's now 10 1/2 and developing but hasn't started. Doc says any time between now and about 12 is her prediction.

it's more distressing to us than her... believe me. Just answer her questions honestly. You'll be okay.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 11:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009