can u let a 10 month old cry it out?

when he wakes up in his crib bc his big sister wouldnt shut up, doesnt want a bottle. Wants to get in "mommy's" bed. But mom says no way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the CIO method with both my babies. They're both very happy, very much "thriving" kids now.

When you use CIO, you shouldn't let him cry more than 10 minutes before you let him see your presence again. Soothe him, and then leave again. It never took my kids more than two nights of this to learn to self soothe and sleep on their own. It's rough and heartbreaking at first, but people put WAY too much stock in what an infant will remember. I'm sure my mother did the same thing to me, and I can honestly say I'm a perfectly happy adult - well most of the time LOL. We all have our moments. = )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• yes it is, many moms will tell you no, but that is just there opinion crying wont hurt them.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes you can. I would rather do that then let my kid get used to sleeping in my room all the time. My kids can sleep in my bed during storms if they're scared, that's it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• MY 10 mo old was sleep trained this way...and now he is a GREAT sleeper. And he is none the worse for it. Crying is not harmful to a baby...they get frustrated just as we do. Some times there is nothing more you can do...and letting them sleep with you is not the answer...that was not an option in our house either! good luck!
    Jakesmom1107

Answer by Jakesmom1107 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would not do it. I don't believe in CIO for babies under one year.
    Also, the whole concept of CIO became widely known by a book called Baby Wise. The AAP is highly against the book because of it's link to failure to thrive.

What's wrong with the baby sleeping in bed with you? I know some parent's just can't do it. My DH is way to violent when sleeping to allow a child in bed with us. ...

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My daughter will be ten months old this week, and there is no way I would let her "cry it out". I understand that this is OK for some mothers, but not for me. I do agree that, unless you practice co-sleeping reguarly, you should not buckle and let your child get used to only sleeping in your bed. I only use that as a LAST resort. Have you tried skin-to-skin cuddling?
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Personally, I think crying it out is cruel. How would you feel if someone ignored your needs?
    But that's just me.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ok NIght my needs are ignored.... but im an adult so who cares.. im letting him cry bc hes not coming in my bed i dont want him use to that. i layed him down and patted him and he woke back up offered him a paci and a bottle took the paci but kept crying. i went back in there layed him down handed him the bottle he still cried i let him cry more i went back in there gave him the bottle he took it and layed down. Sat up and cried a lil more i went in there layed him back down gave him the bottle again now hes sleeping
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009