How do I start eating healthy and losing weight?

My husband and I decided we want to get serious about getting fit and healthy (and I have a LOT of weight to lose). We have two small children and we need something that will work for the whole family since I don't have time to make two different menus and cook seperate meals. We want to have another baby and I don't want to get pregnant until I lose weight. I don't know where to start, and I don't have the extra money to spend on programs such as Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Health

• Start making healthier substitutions. Instead of chips and candy have apples and carrots in the house. Instead of white bread, buy whole wheat. Instead of breakfast cereal make a bowl of oatmeal. Eat filling foods with lots of protien and fiber (they take longer to digest and keep you full longer without tons of calories). Eat ONLY when you're truly hungry.

You just start weeding out the "bad" foods and replacing them with "good" foods. Avoid keeping junk in the house, it will only be a temptation. Also, take up walking with the whoel family after dinner (or before, when the days get short). It's about baby steps. You'll get there, mamma! Go through your pantry and chuck everythign that's bad for your family and then go shopping for healthy foods. You'll make it!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Read the book "Skinny Bitch."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, I wanted to lose weight this summer so I started using my mom's diabetic diet as a model. She lost a good deal of weight in a few months by making a few diet changes. Mostly I tried to reduce fat as much as I could, eat more lean meats like chicken and fewer processed foods. Also, I watched carbs. For Mom's diet she was allowed 5 carb choices per meal (3 meals a day). Each carb choice was 15 grams of total carbs minus fiber. I split my breakfast and lunch carbs up 4 & 1 so I could have a couple snacks too. After that it is reading labels and making choices. Some foods are free foods (lettuce, green beans, meats) because they have no or very few grams of carbs. I would love to say this has helped and I've lost a lot of weight but 1 month after I started I got pregnant so. . . You may want to consult your doctor or a dietitian though.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Weight Watchers is really amazing, and you don't have to join. I don't have the money to join, but my sister's friend did join and she shared with my sister, who then told the rest of the family what to do. I've got some info about it if you want to give it a shot. It basically teaches you how to use portion control and stuff, without really restricting what you eat. PM me if you want the info about it. I started it a couple of months ago and have lost about 10-15lb. Not exactly sure, since my scales are broken, now. But even without seeing the weight on a scale, I can tell I'm healthier and smaller. I've lost 2 pants sizes and one shirt size (stupid boobs, otherwise it would be 2 or 3 shirt sizes, too), and I have a lot more stamina than before.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I suggest that you start eating more often throughout the day. I wanted to lose the last of the preggo pounds...and started conciously eating 6-8 times a day. I still sit with my family for the big three...but I eat less than before, and add in three to five snacks. I eat a small apple with a little peanut butter, or a handful of almonds...or other nuts...it does not take a whole lot switch over. I also cut out packaged foods, even at mealtime...and make the similar choices from scratch. I also started back to the gym, but when I can't make it...I powerwalk for about 30 mins. I also bought a meal replacement powder to add to fruit smoothies...really boosts the vitamin and protien. Check your local discount grocer's "bulk" section...I find tons of healthy choices cheaper than packaged alternatives. Also start making more soups, and stews...they are filling but can be low cal. Good luck, you are on the right track!
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 2:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would start with simple changes.
    Stop buying junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009