Is it bad for me to walk my child to sleep?

I have a 5 month old with sever gas and acid reflex. I walk her to sleep and then put her in a swing to sleep. I know that it is said that you should not put them in a swing, but she will not sleep for more than 10 to 30 min if she is not in the swing. She will go to pass gas and can not get herself back to sleep. The doctor told me that I need to start making her cry to sleep. I can't do it... please help.

hotty2u14

Asked by hotty2u14 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you don't want to let her cry the n don't its your baby and you do whats right for you. theres a book called the no cry sleep solution you should check it out
    masonelismom

Answer by masonelismom at 11:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My child slept in his bouncey chair for the first year of his life! That and the swing. His doctor said that it was fine, just as long as he was comfortable. The poor thing has gas...if it brings her comfort...I don't understand what the problem is. Have you tried gas drops or giving her a massage face down across your lap...that can help to relieve some of those symptoms.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I think 5 months is too early for CIO also. I'm all for it, but not that early. They also make crib wedges that you can put in a baby's crib, so that the baby sleeps more upright. They are safe & don't contribute to SIDS. You could try that. My son LOVED his swing also... I started putting him in his crib during naptimes. If he woke up, I'd cuddle him, then put him back in the crib. No swing. Eventually he started sleeping in the crib more and more until he was used to it. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My baby had bad reflux too. I wouldn't worry about her sleeping habits until after the reflux is gone.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My daughter had sever reflux until she was six months old. On top of the medications that she was put on, we used a tea called fennel tea..or Kindertea (its a German product but you can get it here too)They stopped the meds and we kept up with the tea and it was wonderful...with out it she was in sever pain and hardly slept , and was vomitting what ever she ate. Also she lived in her swing for the first year and lots of batteries later! I loved that thing so much. You are a mother, if your baby is comfy and sleeping then do what your heart tells you to do..as far as cry it out, well with the tummy issues I wouldnt do it. Good luck
    iammoi

Answer by iammoi at 12:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Do whatever you feel is best, and don't feel guilty about it or even think twice about it. My DS used to sleep in his swing all the time, or he'd sleep on my chest laying on the couch. The "crying it out" method is just a choice parents make, there is no right or wrong way to do things.. only what works best for you. My DS is 22 months and still falls asleep on the couch with mommy every night, and I've learned not to give a crap about what others think. He's in a safe, healthy, and clean home with loving parents so who cares how they fall asleep.
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Is she on any meds for the acid reflux? My son had it and was on zantac, then prevacid. He eventually got over it. If a child is in discomfort, making them cry themselves to sleep will not help whatever pains them. There are a couple of grps on this site for babes with acid reflux. I suggest you join. We used to elevate the head of my son's mattress until he started rolling over. The meds helped. Holding him up after feedings for 30 mins helped, too.
    unga

Answer by unga at 12:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Whatever helps is the answer. One of my daughters always had to sleep during the day in her swing. My other daughter slept in her car carrier til she was 1, it was the only thing that made her sleep. All four of my children now sleep just fine in their beds. We all need our sleep!
    4forme72

Answer by 4forme72 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• you know, i was told to let my son cry it out... but after 3 years of motherhood, i have learned that mommy knows best. you have to do what you are comfortable with as a mommy.
    Jessnpat2

Answer by Jessnpat2 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2008