What would you do if your job accidently overpaid you?

I friend of mine was accidently paid $1,465,002.29 from her job. It was suppose to have been her bi-weekly paycheck. Her job deposited the money in her checking account. If this was to happen to you, would you keep the money or give it back?

peachez01

Asked by peachez01 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Give it back. Because even if it weren't the right thing to do (and it is), they will notice that they paid her a million dollars and will want it back - all of it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Wow I thought you meant like $50. No she needs to let them know before she spends any of it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would give it back not matter what the amount is.
    That kind of money they will figure it out and they will want it all back
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would give it back. Because, actually, to NOT give it back is a felony. There was recently a news article about a couple who had a large sum of money deposited into their account like that, and they tried to keep it, and it's a crime to keep money that is inadvertently deposited and you know it's not yours. It was in Australia, but the article explained how it's a felony in the States (and in most countries) as well.

This is all in addition to the fact that even though that's a lot of money, my integrity is worth even more than that.

Besides, if she gives it back, it's going to look good on her at work. If she doesn't - even IF they don't press charges, she could end up losing her job - because they WILL notice and trace the error.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Something similar happened to a girl I used to work with, she told the boss right away and they took care of it that day (with a small bonus to her for her honesty) but they also posted a memo about what could happen if someone didn't report it. When the company finds it, they have a couple things they have to do. Ask for the money back. Even if you dont report it, in most places as long as you can return it in a reasonable amount of time (3-5 days usually) they can take no action against the employee. If the employee makes trouble about it or has spent it they have two options, fire them (and still have the right to charge them for the$+ interest) or keep them on with a paycut or no pay till its payed off. None of those are fun choices to me, I would be on the phone to HR ASAP, and you never know, they may reward you for being honest.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would also return the money. The boss is bound to notice, and even if they don't...it's wrong to keep something you didn't earn.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• From a practical standpoint, they WILL notice and she can be charged with stealing the money if she doesn't return it. And of course, there is the morality of the situation anyway..... I can understand the temptation to keep the money, especially if you really need money. But that isn't the right thing to do, and it is bound to catch up with you. I would think the banks would monitor that size of transaction.... I wouldn't be able to keep it!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well with DH's job, if they overpay him, they will take it back eventually. More than likelyout of his paycheck. I'm sure he would tell them about it and they would fix it, but I would keep the money in the account until they took it back or keep in in there for when he doesn't get his full paycheck.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If she receive a direct deposit/ACH, they will take the money back when they discover the error. The honorable thing to do is report it.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Give it back. ASAP.

If they find the oversight and she didn't report it, they can have her charged with fraud, because she KNEW about the overpayment and did nothing.

If they won't take the money back, she needs to talk to her bank about having the amount that was paid in error frozen or otherwise set aside to protect her!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009