Do you think employers should look at social networking pages of applicants?

So a reply to another question got me thinking. The mom had commented that she felt it was stupid for employers to look at applicants facebook/myspace etc pages during the application process to help with a decision, that what you do in your personal life shouldn't matter. My reaction was that its not stupid. You can tell a lot about a person by how they present themselves online. For instance a job that would require an early shift most likely would not want to hire someone who is out partying all night and likely hung over or too tired to get up the next morning. Employers want to make sure their employees make the company look good, and if you look like a jack ass on your social website page and don't care then you may not care about your job! Its all about discretion. What you choose to do in your personal life reflects on your character plain and simple.

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree that they should look at them, because it's not just a matter of your personal life. Once you put it on the web, it's for the whole world to see. If you're that ashamed of it, then why blast it across the web?

If a couple of people are applying for the same job, and one has a page full of how trashed they got last weekend, or how many people they hooked up with, etc, and someone else doesn't - either because their page reflects a more mature and responsible person, or because they're discrete enough to not post it for the world to see, and they hire the second person, how is that any different than if they were to hire the person who had better references listed on their application?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• That's how I feel. I think with the new technologies and how everyone's life is put out on the web, your pages will be becoming a reference basically. You wouldn't put down someone who would make you sound bad as a reference, so why would you put up pictures or blogs that do? My rule for pics is if my momma can't see it then the rest of the world doesn't need to! If you don't want to be judged by it- don't put it out there!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't know if they should, but I certainly think that they should be able to. I do agree with pretty much everything the first poster said.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Absolutely, and if you put it on the internet, it's really not private anyway. If you want it to be private, don't post it online!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No. It is none of my bosses business what I do in my free time. Work and home are separate.
    Besides, you can just set your profiles to private & no problem.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Schools do it. Why not have employers do it. Hell they already take your rights looking at your credit score, work records, and urine screening. I think a credit score is much more daming than a drunk photo.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:23 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No, I don't think it should matter what is on a networking page whether or not you get a job. As a potential employer they are already given access to your credit score, records, and more. If they have all that, 2 interviews and a drug test and still can't figure out if you are a decent person or not a profile that you put up to keep in touch with old HS buddies shouldn't matter. Also, there are many times aspects revealed on your profile that you may not want potential employers to know but that shouldn't hurt your chances at getting a job. Ex: I am Bi-Polar, I have a MySpace Blog that talks about my struggles. My DH is a recovering addict, I have a MySpace Blog there too... Now, neither of these SHOULD be able to stop me from getting a job. But both could bring up personal prejudices on the part of the boss and stop me from getting a job. Yet neither would actually affect how and if I do my job.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You spend more waking time with the people you work with than the peple you live with. They only met you for a few hours during the interview process and they dont want to make a bad decision. If you put it out there then you are responsible for the impact. And if your friends are putting damaging stuff out there, what kind of friends are they? The question isn't should they. The fact is they do! So adjust yourself accordingly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Of course they shouls, if a more responsible person applies, they are more eligible, especially if you are tking about parting and staying up all night.

What do you got to hide? Right?
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes. When i was in management, i would have if it had been available.

If you put something on the internet for everyone to see, then they have every right to look. And if you don't want to be judged by what you put on the internet, only you can censor it by not posting it.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2009