Is this serious enough to bother seeing a doctor about?

It is not that I hear voices (nice way to start an explanation...LOL), but more like I have a secondary voice of my own in my head that is getting more persistent. I have heard of some cases of OCD (which I have, along epilepsy) wherein the patient's "ticks" and urges take on a vocal form in their mind, especially at times when they are very stressed. It seems to be something like that. This "second voice" is constantly reprimanding me and telling me I need to do things (no, it does not say "kill and kill again"...LOL). I try to ignore it, but then (like tonight) I cannot sleep.

All right, now that I sound REALLY crazy...can those of you who have not been scared off offer my some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• what is the voice saying? is it telling you to do your normal ocd behaviors or are they new behaviors? the compulsion part of ocd could be causing it. if you see a therapist on a regular basis, just bring it up at your next appointment, unless the behaviors the voice suggests are harmful, then I would suggest trying to get in to see someone asap. also, if it is not harmful behavior that is being suggested, try listening. it might calm the voice down. and as far as the voice reprimanding you, when it says something negative, reinforce something positive about yourself of something good you did that day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would see a docvtor for the simple fact that may be he can put you on some meds or adjust your meds. In the meantime, try to overpower what you hear in your head. Just speak out loud to yourself and if you are religious then pray out loud. Just ask the voice to go away and that you know best. Also, just watch tv or listen to the radio on low volume, maybe it will lull you to sleep. Good luck.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 1:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I personally believe that God does speak to us in different forms. If you try to really focus on what the voice is telling you, it may be giving you direction on how to deal with your situation.
    Clarise

Answer by Clarise at 1:36 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would go see a professional. Its obviously a problem because it wont let you sleep at night, and even if it has teh best intentions, its not going about it the right way. *Hugs*
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If you feel the need to ask here, it is obviously pretty bad. I would call a doctor about it. If it is keeping you up, you need to seek a professional.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, since you describe it as a "voice" I am thinking it couldn't hurt to talk to a doctor. Is this different from "thoughts"? I sort of talk to myself inside my head most of the time! But is the difference that you can't control the thoughts and they interupt your flow of thinking? I think it is probably also kind of negative that the voice is reprimanding you! Maybe you can find a way to get some relief. Why wait until it gets worse? This is a problem, like any other in life and why not deal with it? You sound rational to me.....I am sure you will sound rational to the doctor too.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2009