Is the land lord responsible?....

I need serious help and advice...This past week a neighbor started to threaten my 7 yo dd. Open ended threats through e-mail, over the phone, things like keep your daughter away from us or else...then she walks around the neighborhood screaming what horrible people we are, we are liars and thieves,and that my dh is a child molestor. We have contacted the sherriffs twice but because there is no immediate threat of danger they can not do anything. They are renting the house they are in and my neighbors who are witness to the craziness suggested that I contact the homeowner. Can the owner be held liable if the tenant actually does something? There have been multiple complaints to the police and to the owner already from others in the neighborhood. For a mulititude of things as well. I can not understand why they continue to let them stay in the house. I am not sure what to do. I do not feel we are safe in our own home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Actually, I don' t think the home owner is liable, BUT - I would call a lawyer because you CAN press charges against them. What they're doing is libel, and it's also harassment. I would go that route.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ya i honestly cant blame you I wouldnt either. Is there a specific reason they are acting like this towards your family? I would say if you havent already talk to them and see if there is a specific reason they are attacking your family like this. I would also suggest staying away from them if possible especially your DD. And definatley get a hold of the home owner and let them know what is going on. I hope everything works out for you :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• talk to a lawyer. i do not know what state you are in but i know in mine when there have been several complaints about the same tenant they are considered a nuisance, and the landlord has to get rid of them. or look online for the landlord responsibilities for your state. hope this helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Here, it depends on the laws in a specific city what the landlord is and isn't responsible for. I would go ahead and contact them anyway unless they are renting through a rental agency, then I would contact the agency. I am surprised the police can do nothing and I would talk to a lawyer about a slander case if nothing else.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No, the landlord is not liable. However, as a landlord, I would want to know so the minute the lease is up, I would know whether or not to have them sign another lease or ask them to leave. Most landlords want somebody that 'fits' into the neighborhood because they usually make better & long term tenants. Tenants like that usually don't take care of the property either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009