Sex helping labor?

Hello. I have heard a lot about sex helping labor begin, and the theroy proved true for my DD. But we have been doing it a lot with this pregnancy, and still nothing... I am dilated to a 2, and have been losing my mucous plug..

My quetsion is, for sex to work, do you have to have an orgasm, or is it just the sperm??

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Keep trying I would say the orgasm would help too! Try to stimulate your breasts too! I know that sound weird but my Midwife had me do this when my water broke and I was not contacting and it WORKED! After a warm shower and stimulation for 15 mins I was contracting. Try it what do u have to loose.

Moriah

www.WorkingGreenMoms.com
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 9:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i believe the orgasm also helps....its a natural contraction if you think about it.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Like PP said, your orgasms are important too. Not only for the physical muscular contractons but also for the hormones your body releases. When you have the big O, your body is realeasing the very same hormones that it's releasing in copious amounts during labor and child birth. That being said, there is nothing that will bring on labor if your body and your baby are not ready.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• it's both. Sperm spftens the cervix making it easier to dialate, so let him do his thing up in there. And orgasms help too, but it's really the sperm that is supposed to help. At least this is what my midwife explained to me.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• "there is nothing that will bring on labor if your body and your baby are not ready."

Boy, isn't that the truth! I'm 41 weeks and 5 days today and we've had about 6 rounds of sex in the past 3 days. STILL NOTHING. Lol.

Having an orgasm release oxytocin, the same drug used to induce labor (pitocin). Semen releases prostaglandins, the same drug used to soften the cervix (cervical creams).
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• don't feel bad. I could never go into labor with any of my children. They had to be csections. I had a little Labor with my third and not knowing what it felt like I was hell bring me to OR right now. Yeah sex is supposed to help but like you it didn't for me or maybe it was the father's problem who knows? but I wish you luck and hving that beautiful baby..
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009