My husband needs help with his Sunday school class....

he teaches ages 11, 12, and 13. He has some of the MOST disrespectful and disruptive students in his class! He probably has about 5 or 6 real problem students, then a handful that are talkative but will be quiet if he starts to get a little bit more stern. Then there are a few who are quite, get what is being taught, and like being there, and generally want to learn more.
The worse problem is that the adults in the church and the Sunday school director thinks it's ALL my husband's fault. They're opinions, I think, affect how their kids treat him. He's said that he has probably been too nice. My husband is young he's 25. He was asked to take this class by the church. He loves to teach and loves getting messages across, the problem is he can't because of these kids.
Does anyone have any suggestions for him? He's worked out a list of rules and going to have them posted on the wall then signed seperately by each kid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• he should video tape the class. not even for real, just put a camera up & tell them if the misbehave he will have proof to show their parents. if they continue to be bad tape it for real & show the parents. at least then he would have proof, it doubt some parents would care tho. i remember what it was like to be in youth group classes & we never cared what the teacher was teaching. (we were so bad one time a teacher threw a chair!). i dont think its "these" kids, but just kids this age w/ loose parents.

if all else fails he should tell the church leaders they are too bad & to get someone else. maybe another class needs a teacher. or make the parents teach the class or make the students sit in their parents class. they will shape up pretty quick when they realize they're gonna have to sit in their parents "boring" class.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Does he have a helper who can sit behind the problem kids? Give them mean looks when they misbehave? What about seperating the problem kids? Once in a while he could reward some of them. Maybe bring one or two candy bars to class and at the end hand them to some exceptional students with a "thank you for paying attention and participating today!" Crack down hard!! There will always be some bad ones and unfortunately they can have a major affect on everyone else. Pray for them. Spend some time with them when he can. Parents attitudes definetly influence the kids behavior. Be transparent with the parents and develop a better relationship with them too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well he's asked for it several times and no one's willing to sit in there. I've sat in there but they do not respond to me whatsoever. I don't know if it's cuz I'm his wife or of if they need another guy to give stern looks or what!
    He's going to make a point chart, a list of rules and start offering rewards and treats to the kids. We're hosting a sr youth and jr youth football game party thing on the 24th of next month. I told him that if a kid is asked to leave class or are suspended or whatever that he should use THAT as leverage. They will not be allowed to participate in something that is in our home and they can't respect him in church.
    With the parents, he feels like he's just being overly scrutinized because of his age. I told him she should bring it up with Pastor since the Sunday school director is a parent to one of his problem students, and doesnt' seem to be helping and only casting judgement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Has he tried putting them outside of the classroom or standing them in a corner? That should get their attention because at their age, they are obviously far too old for this treatment and it would maybe embarrass them into submission. He may also remind them that Jesus sees them everywhere and knows their thoughts and actions. Do the parents behae the same as the children or would they help the children's attitude along a little? Good Luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No joke he's tried both sending them out of the classroom and standing them in the corner. They don't care! I can't understand for the life of me why on earth kids would treat adults like this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Maybe hit the library and read up on discipline books, parenting books ect. to see if he can get to the root of the problem. I would also think he needs a helper. Maybe pick a new student each week to be the "helper" if the church isn't willing to help.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with asking someone else to sit in on the class and observe the behavior of the students. It might be a good idea to ask one of the parents to do that each week. After having done that for a while, if the bad behavior keeps happening. I would request a meeting with the Sunday School director, pastor, student, and parents and state my case for having that child placed in a different class, maybe even the one the parents attend. It is sometimes necessary to do what is best for the greater number of people. When you have children who want to learn and they are being prohibited by some of the students, then there have to be changes made.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Send them back out to sit with their parents when they can't behave. Let the whole congregation watch them walk in mid-service because they can't act like they were raised right for a whole hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009