Why can't Catholics be Free-Masons?

Anybody know or have any resources I can take a look at?

(I am Catholic, so this isn't one of those bash posts, I've been a convert for about a year, learning new things all the time still, and this is something I recently heard and I was wondering why.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is from a website by a former Mason turned Catholic:

Why is Freemasonry incompatible with Christianity?
    Freemasonry is incompatible with Christianity because it promotes indifferentism. Indifferentism is the heretical belief that all religions are equally legitimate attempts to explain the truth about God which, but for the truth of His existence, are unexplainable. Such a view makes all truths relative and holds that God can be equally pleased with truth and error. Because Christians believe that God has definitively revealed Himself in the person of Jesus Christ, and desires that all men come to the knowledge of this truth, indifferentism is incompatible with Christian faith. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." (John 14:6).

con't
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't know the exact reason, but its not that the Mason's don't accept Catholics, its that Catholic religion doesn't except Masonry. Catholics have their own charitible community organization, the Knights of Columbus.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 6:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It has to do with the acceptance rite Of the Freemasons. When A man takes this oath, he must strip himself of everything, to take this oath. That means that if a Catholic man has a religious medal or scapular on he must take it off and swear full allegiance to he Masons, turn his back on the Church. The Knights of Columbus, didn't come about as an Alternative to the Masons as some think. They were started by a group of Irish Catholics, who saw the men were dying and leaving their families not being able to take care of themselves. This group of men realised that together they could help the Widows and children of these men. Which is what they still do to this day. The core of the KoC is to protect and help those who can't do it themselves. Whether they're Catholic or not.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2344243/posts this link may help there are other links within it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I was born and raised Catholic but, I've never heard of this and have no idea what the term is??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I was raised Catholic but my father was a Mason. I was TOLD (not sure exactly but it made sense) I was told that when you are a Mason there are certain things that you can tell no one other than a Masonic brother. If you are Catholic you can hold no secrets from the Pope.
    My Grandfather (mom's dad) and my father were not to happy with each other over this difference. It might have been watered down for my sake I am not sure.
    Tero

Answer by Tero at 9:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• con't

The Church, through its Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, has formally declared that Catholics who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion. This declaration, which is the most recent teaching of the Church, has affirmed nearly 300 years of papal pronouncements against Freemasonry on the grounds that the teachings of the Lodge are contrary to Catholic faith and morals.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/freemasonfaq.html
    ave.maria.