At what age is your son too old to go into a public ladies room with you?

Assuming you are in a relatively safe place and he has no developmental delays.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say at five.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• my son is 3 and i will take him in the bathroom so eaither him or i can go. but i think 5 is a good age for him to go into boys room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son started using the mens room alone occasionally when he was 5 (depended on where we were at the time). He'll be 8 on Thursday and doesn't come in the women's room any more. At the most he stands near the door while I take the girls in. He's been using the men's room now for over a year almost every where we go.
    He even walks across the restaurant to use it on his own (or with his sister who then use the women's room).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree, around 5. Kids are more capable than we give them credit for!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son is 5 and very capable of going to the rest room by himself ,HOWEVER,If my husband is not with us and he needs to use a public restroom ,I don't let him use the men's room by himself , UNLESS I'm 100% sure there is no one else in there at the same time, I'll never forget that story(Nancy Grace show) about a little boy that was with his aunt and while she waited for him to use the rest room, this poor innocent child was murdered! by this criminal that was hiding in the stalls. My son's life is way more important than other people's comments! some may say..."he's too big to be in the lady's room " ...well to me, he will always be too precious to be put in  a grave! and I'll do whatever it takes to protect  them from so many sickos that are lurking and just waiting for a chance.

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 8:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'ld say until I can trust others. I take my son in the ladies room with me(we almost never go in public restrooms) ifwe are in a ladies room and there's a line I have him face me so he isn't looking around.
    I'ld say in the next year I'll let him go by himself if I know noone else is in the bathroom. He's almost 5 but it just seems like such a big step to let him go in a mens room by himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• At 5 they are more than capable but there are pedophiles out there. In my town a 9 year old stabbed and the guy was masterbating on his body in a retail store. The mom had some concerns so she asked a clerk to check on him. The boy died. So in my town we either use the family restroom and I stand outside or he goes in the womens restroom. If another woman doesn't like my son standing by a wall where he can see nothing she can kiss my a$$. I would rather her be uncomfortable and my son safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I saw 8 tops. But I have let my son use them alone at 5. Alot depends on where your at.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would personally say 8 is the earliest I would allow my child to use the Men's room alone. If it was necessary to do so before then I would knock on the door, crack it and call out to see if anyone was in there. If no one was then I would just peek in to make sure and let him go. Then stand with my foot against the door to keep it cracked.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:42 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• As a woman, and a Mom, I have no trouble at all with 6 and 7 year old boys in the ladies rest rooms with me...none.
    I allow my 6 year old to use the mens room in safer venues (smaller restaurants etc) But not at highway reststops or in large malls. And I wouldn't dream of saying a word if I saw an older boy in a ladies restroom-particularly a place like a rest stop.
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 9:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2009