SAHM would you...?

If your spouse died, left or was unable to support the family for any reason all of the sudden would you go back to work to support your family or would you collect PA and keep things how they are? I am a part time working mother but if anything happened to DH I would work my butt off to have to collect as little PA as possible. Just wondering what others thought. this is kind of a spin off question from the other day. ::TRY to be NICE::

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would get a job and try to stay off PA. While we believe that it is important for one of us to be at home with the kids, it is also important that we provide for our own family. My husband is doing that now, but if he were gone that would become my responsibility.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Hell no, I am a able bodied woman. I would work my ass off to provide for my children & myself. Besides that what would collecting PA teach the kids. Oh hunny it's ok to not provide for your own family. I don't think so.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have to say I would work. I worked before I had kids and I would do everything in power to support them if something happened to my DH.

With that said, I do not think there is anything wrong with getting a little help if need be. I have a friend whose husband had gotten laid off and for a short period of time they went on food stamps. They had enough money to pay the bills, they just need that little help. As soon as he started working again they got off them. I do not think there is anything wrong with that and I think that is what the system is for.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am a SAHM. We have enough life insurance (on both of us actually) that if anything were to happen to my dh, the kids and I would be able to continue to live, with a few adjustments but not any real financial hardship, for a couple of yrs, which would be enough time for me to get a job and so forth. (I wouldn't wait until the last minute / end of the insurance money to start.)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• id work
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'd work, of course. 2
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am a part-time WAHM, if my hubs died I'd have to petition to have my work hours increased, and I would also be able to collect on his social security benefits, his 401K and life insurance.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My husband has a huge life insurance policy and i would be set for a few years but i would start working as soon as i could. I would do everything that i could to not have to use the insurance money aside from paying for the funural and getting our debt paid off and the rest i would put in a college fund for my son. But im trying to go to school now so i can start working as a teacher in the next few years. I love being home with my son but i dont do well just staying at home. I have always had a job since i was 14 and this past year is the only time that i have not been working. I would not get PA unless i had to so i could provide for my son but i wouldnt like it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It would depend on the age of my children. If I'd be working only to pay day care for my children, I might rather take the public assistance (I contributed to it my whole life until I started staying at home, so some of it is mine FOR ME) until they were in school, and then work. I might look at other options such as WAHM, before I'd put my child in day care. If my child has just lost his father, it would be a pretty sorry thing for him to have to lose his mother to day care/work at the same time. We would need time to adjust. We do however have life insurance, and other resources, but if PA was available to me, I'd take it. As I said, part of it is MINE.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• This is a hard question I have been on both sides of this fence. I found myself to be a single mom with a two year old and a two month old. I worked two jobs to support us because my pride would not allow me to take PA. I did eventually have to ask for assitance with rent as my pay went mostly to day care. However the down side to that is I missed A LOT of my girls first moments. I would cry all the way to work. I did find an excellent day care and my family helped some at night but it was hard on everyone.
    Since then I have married a wonderful man and he adopted both of the girls. We like most of you have excellent insurance and I am very confident that our marriage is stable. But looking back now I am still not sure I did the right things. Sometimes I am proud that I did it mostly without help. Others I am very sad I was not there for all of those special moments. : /
    Tero

Answer by Tero at 9:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2009