Is Breastfeeding something that comes naturally or Is Breastfeeding something that ought to be taught?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For me it was something I had to be taught, more like self taught LOL.. How to latch, position, care for nipples etc did not come natural. The natural part was that my breast knew what to do, and did it. Everything else was trial and error. After the first two weeks if was more natural, but in the begining it was like learning to ride a bike, sometimes it went well, other times I and he had to try again LOL.. Read all you can, take classes, it does help. If this is something you want to do, I hope you stick with it through the tough times, it is so worth it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It should come naturally but for some it doesn't and that's OK. I think there should be more education about it though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i dont think its something u need taught lol a think people may advice u the best way to hold baby whilst feeding , id always wanted to breast feed but my boobs were toooooo sore after the births however with this preg am thinking ov using the breast pump rather than the babyb attached to my breast lol if it makes sence , ive found my breast more tender the more kids u have but eveyone is different , good luck chick xxx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 7:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Both. It depends on the mother and the baby. It's easier if you learn as much about it as possible. Some babies take right to it and some don't, the same can be said for the mothers. Education is key.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes, it depends on the mother and baby. Some babies go right to it no problem and others need to "learn" how to do it. It's a good idea to take classes or speak with experienced nursers or read up on the different holds and positions for mom too. So many moms think that it's something that just naturally happens no problem only to run into some common issues early on and they can end up feeling like they failed or like they should know how to fix the issue. It's not always that simple, so it's best to prepare as much as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It depends on if baby latches easily and if mom feels comfortable and confident. If you need help ask.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It's a natural thing but it doesn't come naturally for many women. Before I had my baby, I thought that breastfeeding would just happen. It didn't. We tried for several weeks to get our daughter to nurse at the breast but she just would not. We syringe fed her breast milk that I was pumping out, taking up to an hour each time she needed fed, and after 2 weeks of this, we finally gave up. I was only getting 15 - 30 minutes of sleep every two hours and I simply could not go on. We saw 3 lactation consultants, one of them a world renouned LC, and it just wasn't going to work for our family. My girl is still breast fed,she just doesn't take it from the tap. I've been pumping for her for the last 6 months and this alternative has worked out very well for our family.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is natural, but that doesn't mean it is easy. I think everyone should have to meet with the consultant and have it covered by insurance. We met with a consulant that came to the house and we had to pay out of pocket. But it was the best money we spent!
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 8:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sometimes it comes naturally, and sometimes you need to work at it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think it should be taught and I really get sad when women who have found it easy tell folks that it is so natural and should just come easy for you and baby. Even when we lived in caves there were other women there to teach each other and give support.
    I tried the "it's natural" approach with my first and ended up with bleeding nipples and it was a terrible experiance until I found someone to teach both baby and me what we needed to know. Once that was figured out it was one of the most rewarding bonding things I have ever done with my children.
    I am blown away how many new Mom's now that I find that are struggling because they were not taught really basic things and are trying to do it on their own.
    My advice is to talk to whom ever you can, join a group, take a class, read books. It WILL feel very natural once you get the hang of it.
    Your breast will be sore but if baby is latching on correctly it should not hurt. :
    Tero

Answer by Tero at 8:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2009