My 5 year old is driving me insane!

He's been sitting in the kitchen now for 30 minutes and it looks like he's taken 3 bites of his oatmeal. He has to get in the shower in a few minutes (normally a night time thing) so he can get ready and be on time to catch the bus this morning. This happens every morning, I have to tell him over and over and over to eat. He's not even DOING anything, he just sits in there, I guess playing around even though there are no toys or anything in there. His school day is about 8 hours long, I can't send him without eating breakfast. I tried setting the timer for him so he could see how long he has but nothing seems to work.

Anybody have suggestions on how I can get him to get a move on and eat in a timely manner in the morning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sons (5 and 7) are SLOW in the morning....they don't yet have the concept of time, or realize they are hungry until they get to school. For them, snack is usually around 10:00AM, so I make sure to pack something i KNOW they will eat, but, what I've found that helps tremendously is a simple schedule and inexpensive prize reward system.

I have a "star chart" posted on my refrigerator, in which if they earn a star for: getting dressed, brushing their teeth, eating breakfast, and other morning "chores" they get a small prize from a treasure chest that I bought online from Oriental Trading (Google them)--so far this has worked GREAT, and so I've extended the concept to school and homework (7 year old)...if they continue to do well at school, and do their homework, then they can earn additional prizes.

It has taught them to become more conscientious with time and be more responsible for their actions! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I say stop the struggle with him about eating. I think the more you pressure them to eat it's more likely they won't out of spite. Do you ask him what he would like for breakfast? Maybe give him more options and have him help you make it. He will eat when hungry. Some kids are not hungry right away when they wake. Maybe you could wake him a bit earlier too and see if that helps him.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• "Maybe you could wake him a bit earlier too and see if that helps him."

I've tried that, he just sits there longer. I only give him foods he asks for too and I've tried giving him less to see if maybe he just felt like he had a lot and it would take him forever to finish it. No luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Let him not eat one morning... he'll see how he feels when his belly goes to growling and he'll then put two and two together and start eating his breakfast. Although, like someone said, he might not be hungry.. my youngest (7) isn't hungry when she first wakes up. It takes an hour or two before she can even take a bite of anything... he could be the same way.
    If you sit and repeat yourself, he'll just ignore you and you're wasting your breath and voicebox. I know about ignoring, all of mine have done that at some point... ;P
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I go threw this with my daughter too. This is what I started. She catches the bus at 7:30am. She gets up at 6:30am. She has never been someone to eat when she firsts gets up. It was frustrating me as I didnt want her going to school without eating.

So, we wait until 7:10am. Eating is the last thing she does before leaving for the bus. Sometimes she takes cold cereal or an apple out to the bus and snacks on it while waiting for the bus to come. She decideds the night before what she is going to eat and how much. (Let him Pre-pour cereal in the bowl put the bowl in the micro to keep critters out etc) We also dont just do oatmeal/cereal. We may do sliced apples and cheese slices. Have your kiddo help make breakfast muffins. A ham sandwich, fruit salad stuff like that. Giving your kiddo a choice the night before helps the morning go by easier. It gives them a little "power".
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• my 5 yr old is very difficult with food, try giving him 2 options. Oatmeal or something else.
    If my son has a problem with the dinner I make, he's allowed to make a PB&J sandwich. But that's all I don't just ley him eat whatever he only gets two choices.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I've had the same problem with my little one for a LONG time. If and when he would get around to putting a bite in his mouth, he would just sit there with food in his, not chewing, just sitting. I got tired to saying, "Chew. Swallow. Take another bite." Then one day we were at the store and he saw a toy that he just HAD to have. I bought the toy and told him that if he wanted it, he would have to eat like a big boy for 2 weeks. If he didn't eat like a big boy, we would return the toy to the store. I placed the toy, with the receipt, where he could see it during each meal. At the end of two weeks, he had a new toy and I don't have to tell him to chew and swallow anymore. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i don't know . maybe he jiust doesn't like oatmeal. maybe you should try giving him something else. ha ha ha. juat a thought.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• put him to bed earlier and get him up earlier. I would give him a set amount of time (timer) when the timer goes off he is done. (write the teacher a note explaining what you are doing) if he gets hungry before lunch he will figure out that he needs to eat quicker and more in the morning. I know our school has snack time for the kids. does your school? can he just eat then??
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009