What does a stay-at-home mom do during school hours?

I have on child in school and the LO will be going soon enough.
I was wondering if there are things that a mom can do with a little bit of FREE extra time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I still have 1 at home (3 in school). Right now the youngest goes to preschool 2 days a week but she starts at 1pm and gets out at 3pm. The other kids get our at 2:20pm so I have just a little over an hour to myself twice a week.
    On the one day my husband has off but on the other day it's just me. Me and 1 hour of blissful quiet, lol. Last Thursday I ended up having to walk to the store to get stuff for dinner and ended up with only 20 minutes sitting quietly. Oh well.
    When my youngest starts kindergarten in a couple years I'll probably just do more crafts, clean without being interrupted and go for walks whenever I want (I like to walk in the morning but there is no one to watch my 3yo and it's a pain to bring her--she has no stroller any more).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i would scrub the house lol..but for me i do think when my lil guy is off to school for the full day i will get a pt job..he's 3 right now. but figure will work a few hours while all my kids are in school..but like i said you could clean, prepair a dinner, do the things u normal couldnt do fully like clean the closet lol.or even the toy box.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I still have two at home but I plan on volunteering with their school once they all are in it together.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have one in kindergarten, one in nursery school for a couple of hours 2 days a week and one at home with me. When both of my boys are in school it's pretty much free time for me even though I still have my daughter. I like to do any shopping or quick errands during that time. It's amazing how fast shopping gets done when you have only one child with you instead of two or three!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have 1 in middle school, 1 in grade school and 1 in Early childhood. I have 2 1/2hrs to myself where all the kids are at school 4 days a week. Usually I will run errands, or work (I am WAHM). Sometimes I do some cleaning 'extras'- things I want to do but don't have the time--- like sorting out kids clothes, organizing stuff, sorting thru the toys (soooo much easier when kids are not there to see what is kept and what is in the sell/donate piles), cleaning off the top of the fridge, weeding out cabinets (and organizing them)....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I *BREATHE*. Then I go around and clean the whole house (doesn't take long when there's noone behind you re-messing it hehe)... take care of all the animals... then I paint, play on the pc... do laundry... I basically keep busy all day but I get so much more done... so as long as my kids are good with going to public school, I might as well make use of all my time... :D
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Get. A. Job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• 1 - clean. I tackle one big thing everyday. I straighten up everyday, but I really get down and clean one thing everyday like the bathrooms one day, laundry the next, kitchen another, ironing another.

2- Run all my errands - including shopping

3- make all necessary phone calls

4 - make sure I take time out to eat a proper balanced lunch which I never did when my kids were home

5- excersize. I walk with my husband two miles almost everynight but I do my crunches and things during the day

6- Computer time

5 -
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 8:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would enjoy myself when my son does start school. He is 4yrs.old and he will be starting school late. I would hope to have my old job back , but just working part time. it's amazing when I did work my house stayed very clean.... LOL.... I guess it easier to clean the house when empty. I could find all kinds of things to do. With being at home all day, I see things that need painting and etc. The paint would have time to dry. I'm going to try and make my own stepping stones. I will enjoy my son as long as I can with him being home. He loves his lap top and he loves to swim every single day. LOL... My son is a extrovert, and school will be his favorite and I'm not ready to ask him just yet how his day was.... He loved daycare , but he stayed sick. I have only worked one year since he has been born. I wish I never worked that year..... I can say I never missed a thing. That's a blessing ,but also he is the hardest job ever.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I clean, cook, bake, do laundry, run errands, and yes, I do things for ME as well. Go to the gym, go for walks or hikes with my dog, go to lunch with friends, and I have a weekly coffee date with friends (other moms with kids in school, some work, some don't) on Friday mornings as well. I do not sit around eating bon bons and I never watch TV, but I do allow myself some things for me and I do know how blessed I am to be able to stay home. (I do work part time at our local children's home though so this week I am helping cater a luncheon and helping do some shopping for the house parents).
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2009