Is going to church a REQUIREMENT or an option?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• He does tell us to" forsake not assemblage" and that can mean church but He also says that "were two or more gather in my name, there too shall I be" so that can be assemblage as well. The purpose of getting with others (church) is to renew our spiritual energy and give Him praise. We can praise Him alone but we can get spiritually weak if we remain alone too much

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Option. it is more for socialization than anything.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• its an option. hence the reason i dont go.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is an option not a requierment. But if you are a christian it can never hurt to find a good church. The social part of it will help you in your walk with god.
    GSdasiyleader09

Answer by GSdasiyleader09 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It depends on your religious affiliation. Ours require in order to be a practising Catholic that you go to Reconciliation and Mass at least one time during the year, The Easter season. The main reason is that in some areas it's very hard for Catholics to get to a Church were a Priest is present.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is: but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10: 24-25. I believe this makes it a requirement.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• it is neither. it is a supportive, 'family' unit that you need to stay strong in the faith, give support to others (it ain't all about you), and a place to come together with people of like-beliefs. its not everywhere you go that you are surrounded by 'family'; in fact, for most people, church is the only place they don't have to worry about all the crap that life brings and the people who bring it. oh i know someone will say there are crappy people in the church--my take on that is, they may be snobby, haters, crazy mean people in the church (if you look for them, you will find them), but they are still forgiven(usually) and are part of The Church. you need a place to worship freely, learn the Word from seasoned followers/teachers, and fellowship. (1 cor 12:12-27, hebrews 10:25)
    check out this article, more food for thought.

http://www.theexaminer.org/volume7/number5/forsake.htm
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am Catholic and a precept of our faith is to attend Mass on all Sundays and Holy Days. You also must confess once a year and recieve the Eucharist at least once a year during the Easter season. So for me church is a requirement- which makes it sound like an unwelcome obligation- but truth be told I love my faith and Sundays are my favorite days of the week.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Finding a good church is a real bonus to your strength and growth in your faith. Like any religion, you will bond more, learn more, plus the support from others within your religion. Churches have changed a lot in the past few years and are continuing to change. The basic go to church and go home isn't all that a lot of churches offer now a days. I look forward to our church events and activities and have found it helps not only bond with people in church, but helps me and my family grow and stay on track. While it is not required you must attend church for most religions, it is always most recommended you do.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 10:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Finding a church is great and I go time to time my mom is a pastor wife but it is an hour drive.
    But I wonder if assembly can be me and my kinds reading the bible stories together and praying as we do and sending my tithe to my mother's church. I feel good when I go but I don't always feel like the hour travel and gas money to get to the church we like on a weekly basis.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 1:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2009