Why home school ? Just don't understand....

If you home school why? Did you go to public school growing up or were you home schooled? I would love for my son to go to school and be around kids his age.... Plus having friends and etc.

goldielock37

Asked by goldielock37 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ditto to this...

The top universities in the country now actively scout for home schooled kids - they're more successful in college, and better prepared for it. Your kid has a better chance of getting into an Ivy if they're home schooled than if they're Valedictorian of their public school.
    And as for the socialization myth - home school kids are better socialized than public school. Instead of being locked in a room where they are told to sit down and shut up most of the day, only interacting with kids the same age, they interact freely with people of all ages all day, and still do the same extra curricular activities every other kid does.

My six year old reads as good as any adult. She's going to be in a spelling bee & is practicing 1-4th grade words. She definately has made lots of friends within her homeschool group, church, neighbors. She also chose homeschooling.
    RoxyMahma926

Answer by RoxyMahma926 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Once I was talking to another mother at the park, I had asked her what school her kids would be going to, she told me she home-schooled, I got the impression that she kinda though it wrong for me to send my kids to an actual school. I'm not a teacher, they would learn alot more going to school, plus being around other kids, making friends. They love it, maybe if they were unhappy I was consider it though.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't homeschool, I've never felt confident enough to do it. But I sure do understand why its done. I hate the public school system, and we've been throughout the country because of several moves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would like to but I lack the discipline

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i completley agree with you. i think homeschooling is not right. i can understand why people would want to, because sometimes i want to keep my son away from everyone so he can never get sick or hurt or anything but you have to realize they need friends and social interaction and to be taught by someone with a college degree who knows what theyre doing. they need to get out and experience life outside of their home.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:21 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We're going to homeschool for pre-K, but it started out more so that the BM could have them for over the Christmas holiday longer. If it works out we may discuss with her doing it longer.

I don't agree that they would learn more in public school, I've already raised two kids and both are in college now. The only things that they were taught were the things that were on the yearly end of school tests. Not once in my DD school career was she ever taught any geography, art or history. Just the basic math, english and science. How can someone get what should be a well rounded education doing that?

As far as other friends, we've been in contact with a homeschooling group in our area that have playdates and get-togethers so the kids can be with others their age. They are also going to be playing on a community T-ball team in the spring. You just have to be creative in things.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'd also like to point out that my DD wanted to be homeschooled, even begged her father to let me homeschool her, he put his foot down and I was too timid to fight him on it. She's now taking Art History as a major, and doing wonderful. Absolutely LOVES it, she's planning on a career in a museum or art gallery. At 19 I wish I had known with so much certainty what I wanted to do with my life.

I just feel that too many public school are inadequate in what they teach. I can also remember how miserable I was in school. I was one of the ones that were constantly picked on and beat up. Telling the teacher or my parents didn't help...just made it worse, I would have loved to have been homeschooled. I might have actually learned more then how to hide and duck.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Not once in my DD school career was she ever taught any geography, art or history.
    ___
    That is so wrong. I've never heard of a school that doesn't teach history.

The school I went to had requirements for engish, science, math, social studies (incuding history, geography and things like psychology), physical education and the arts (that could be performing arts, fine art, industrial arts or computer art). And I went to a tiny little school. I graduated with 37 people, 10 years ago. The requirements have changed a little, but they are still there. My little brother is a senior this year.

OP, I would only consider homeschooling if the schools where we lived were just awful and we couldn't move, and I couldn't afford private school.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Homeschooling is ok if your willing to commitment to it 100%. i knew too different families and one just taught there kids for and hr a day and most of the time they were outside playing. the other family there girls were on college level material and they were highschool age. They really were some smart girls but weren't social at all. They stayed away from other kids and looked at us like we were strange because we would joke around and they werent use to that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i completley agree with you. i think homeschooling is not right.

Obviously public school served you so very well...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2009