For those who go to church.....

Do you find it hard to go or not going at all when you have little ones? One of my kids will go to the nursery they have during church, but I still have two with me, instead of paying attention I'm taking care of them and keeping them as quiet as I can, there's really no point to it, I feel bad but I have rarely been going because of it.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I thought about it the past, but was greatful I kept going. yes there are those sundays when you want to tear your hair out. I found that more you go, the better the littles behave. It also helps to have age approperate religious books for them to look at. The oldest one is the hardest. Once they're in line the others just seem to follow. That or you're more laid back because it's old hat. For years it was just me and the Children. I even had to walk 6 blocks to get to Church as we didn't have a car at the time. I had a wagon. Men at Church would help me get the wagon up the stairs. They got to the point were they look for me so if I missed they would let me know that they did miss me and the Children. Because of me going every Sunday, others in the family came back. So go. yes they can be a pain. Children in church is a blessing. After all didn't Christ say let the little ones come to me?
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Try a Service time that's less crowded so your nerves are calmer, either on Sunday morning or another day of the week. It's made a huge difference in our lives.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It was harder when the children were young, but we seldom missed a service. The more you take them, teaching them to sit quietly through the services, the sooner they will learn that habit, and the quicker you will be able to relax and enjoy the worship time. We took coloring books and crayons, drawing pads, and other quiet activities for them to do to keep them occupied.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I go, it can be a struggle and a pain sometimes but I go. Last week was particularly trying, and I took a second to send up a silent prayer for myself because my hyper 4 yr old was being a typical hyper 4 yr old, and I looked over at her right after I was done and she was on her knees on the kneeler beside me with her hands clapsed in prayer and her eyes closed- imitating me. It was a sweet moment after a trying service. It hit me like a ton of bricks- what I do is so much more important to what I say.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have a "church" bag for each of my kids. Inside is a box of crayons, a coloring book, a plain 1 subject notebook, a pencil, a ziploc bag of foam stickers, an empty ziploc bag (to put the paper from the stickers in as a garbage bag), and a bible (or bible story book for my youngest). Then my older 2 each have a bible trivia and puzzle book, they also have their memory verse for the week on index cards (1 word per index card, then they have to put the words in the proper order) and my youngest has a Noah's ark memory game and animal flash cards.

Before we had the bags it was a hassle, I spent more time occupying the kids than listening to the sermon. Now, my kids draw and color and play games and I can listen to the sermon almost uninterrupted (except my youngest is potty training, LOL).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2009