I want to make a comforter for my son's bed...

He has a twin bed. I have looked around for a decent one, but all the material for the "cute" ones are cheap. So I am looking to make one made of quality fabric. Any ideas on how much fabric I will need and what is the easiest way to do this? Tie it? Not sure.

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• well you can always buy the fabic for the front of the comforter, and the back(pick what you like) then buy a piece of fabric that is a lil thicker but soft(for fluff) and sew that onto the back piece of fabric, then sew that to the front piece. then mark every so often on the blanket for you to stick a small "x" it a basic quilt! I make alot of baby and kids blankets this way, adding bows or ribbon or rosettes, or just the stitch. it give the illusion of full quilting without a ton of time and work. good luck and email me if I wasnt clear enough. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If you have a comforter on his bed right now, you can pick out the fabric you like, and make a duvet cover for it, basically a giant pillow case that the comforter fits into, and either velcro on the opening, or buttons to close it up.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:00 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would suggest tying it...Using the fleecy material makes for a soft and comfy comforter. You can sew the edges to allow for some layers of stuffing in between, but still tie them to give effect. These are a fave around our house. Use two different fabrics and it can be reversed. Hope this helps! Blessings!
    Bufferfly1502

Answer by Bufferfly1502 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Usually all comforters at the stores have the dimensions on the label...just check it or hey call a store and see if they will tell you. You could measure his mattress and estimate how long you want everything. Have fun! I made my baby's crib set because I wanted something red and khaki instead of baby blue and green. Turned out great!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• how about buying a really thick blanket or comforter that is just plain material. then buy material and sew it onto the one side. or even make like a slip cover for it. or you could cut out squares of materials you like or even strips make like pillows only stuff them with less stuffing so they are able to be flat. then sew them together.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I am saving all my son's t-shirts to make squares to put together for quilt for graduation! I saw one and they bought some kind of iron on webbing to make the t-shirt thicker and then they just bought small pieces of material in different kinds of print and made a frame and then sewed it all together but i would just take it from there to a quilt shop and let them put it on a big machine and furnish the stuffing and backing! I think about $100.00 bucks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Blue jean material and then cut and save little mementos of his cloths to iron on as the years go by, you can collect alot of their favorite shirts and things during the years! They make this iron on stuff! and you can do edges with something!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2009