Holistic Health a viable option to Modern Medicine?

Holistic Health is a collection of healing techniques which have diverged from the traditional medical model. It attempts to cure disorders in mind, body and spirit and to promote wholeness and balance in the individual. Examples are acupuncture, crystal healing, homeopathy, iridology, massage, various meditation methods, polarity therapy, psychic healing, therapeutic touch, reflexology, etc.

Do you or would you ever use any of these methods when modern medicine fails? Are these techniques your first option or one of last resort for you, and lastly, if you HAVE used any of them, did it actually work?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it can work. I personally think the stress kills more people than anything else. It leads to bad eating habits and lack of sleep. It lowers our defenses. It raises our blood pressure. So it makes sense that treating the mind and spirit would help, even if its just because the person is spending some time on themselves.

Its more common and accepted here in Germany where I'm currently living. I've already gotten some interesting treatments for pregnancy ailments. They have socialized medicine here.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 1:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes and they worked...acupuncture, homeopathy, reflexology, polarity therapy are what I have tried. And I would use them as a first option.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think may people are turning to these types of therapies because doctors are just so quick to throw drugs at your ailments and diseases and not get to the root of the problem to fix it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Nothing wrong with a few herbal and alternative treatments. After all that is how modern medicine got started. But also glad for some of the more modern medicines avaliable. Of course I would try natural/herbal treatments first. They are generally cheaper. And let's face it the FDA throws things out to the public way too fast.That's why so many prescription drugs are being recalled. And you know they will never "cure" things like diabetes and cancer. Think about it the drug companies would go bankrupt overnight. Have you seen the cost of cancer meds?? Do you know how much they stand to lose curing diabetes alone?? So yeah I will try hollistic methods first.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:36 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i have used acupunture to help me with sinus and allergy issues. I suffered from them for 6 years after 9/11. i worked just down the street from the towers and it left an impression on my sinuses. I used to cry from the pain it caused. Doctors couldnt' do anything except to tell me that it was sinus issues.. UH no kidding!! no meds worked. It seemed like it only got worse. then when i got married in the end of 2006 my husband noticed my nasal issues and pain and i told him how much time i had spent with doctors on it, mri's cat scans, meds after meds till one doctor made me cry by telling me it was ALL INI MY HEAD. i felt like my nose and eyes and ears had bricks in them. anyway my hubby sent me to an acupunture in manhattan, at 80 dollars a visit 3x a week. i went a total of 10 times only 2 a week cause we couldn't really afford it but i came out of it a new person. My nose still gives me some issues but nothing like b4.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• As soon as we are able to afford it again, i am going to head back to her for some more treatments. One thing she impressed upon me was that medicines were treating the symptoms not the cause. And she said it would take about 3-6 months worth of treatments to really do away with the issue from the root. I believe her because i saw results in just 5 weeks. results that have lasted from 2006 until now. I could imagine that everything would have been gone had i continued the sessions. However i must also say that i believe it worked because she/the treatment was the cause and The Creator brought about the effect.

Prophet mohamed peace be upon him) told us that there is a cure for every disease except death.

I believe holistic medicines work as well as modern medicine but none will work except by the will of the Lord of the heavens and Earth. So i continue to seek medical attention while knowing that only The creator heals
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes I have, yes they've worked, and it's one of my biggest concerns about that "public option" and the government streamlining of all medical records so they can "discourage" the use of any procedures on anyone if they don't agree they are cost effective. They are so far buried in the very deep pockets of the pharm companies, I guarantee holistic medicine will be edged further and further out until they make it nearly impossible to practice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• not panicking.. Im not sure if that would happen.. i know of doctors that use both modern medicine and holistic approaches and i also happen to know that here in NY there are trying to merge the two.do you think it could be possible that holistic medicine will be included in the UHC?
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• NotPanicking, I am in total agreement with you on the government and the Pharm companies and something needs to be done about it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• "I think may people are turning to these types of therapies because doctors are just so quick to throw drugs at your ailments and diseases and not get to the root of the problem to fix it."

Bingo! That's exactly why I use them! The only drugs I put in my body are synthroid, my blood pressure meds, and my cholesterol meds. I wouldn't even use those if I didn't have to. There just really isn't anything that will replace my thyroid though other than synthroid (and it's generics). There are ways to take care of many common illnesses, as well as things like ADHD. I was talked into trying that damned Ritalin for my ADHD a few years ago... no thanks that stuff's terrible. I use holistic things to help reign in my ADHD and I don't feel like a zombie all day.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2009