How do stay at home mom's do it?

Right now I have a four year old in preschool from 12:45-3:15pm. Although she is not the typical 4yr old girl she is not really interested in helping mommy or doing simple things to make life easier for me like going to the restroom without smearing things all over! But the other two my 19 month old and 1 month old (who is very colic) are home with me. I have develop many health issues with this past pregnancy (found out I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and now high blood pressure). I feel like I cannot get anything done...I am constantly trying to keep up with laundry, dishes, meals, etc. Everyone keep saying it gets better but with no family to help me out and since we do not have a home church or friends in this area yet, I feel like I am going to go insane. Hubby helps out with a lot but then I feel like he is doing everything. I am just wondering how you all handle this...I think this the hardest job!

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do what you can each day, it is nice that your husband helps out. Take it one day at a time, and if you can afford it, maybe hire a housecleaner.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 10:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• have hubby watch the kids while u clean,i have to do that sometimes,other times i clean while my baby is sleepong.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Don't feel like you have to do everything at once. Put a load of laundry in the washer in the morning, put it in the dryer about an hour before the kids go to bed. Then you can pull it out and fold it after you put them to bed. One thing I do is when I sort laundry, I put all the hanging clothes in together. Those I know I need to hang up as soon as they dry so they don't wrinkle. If I leave a load of pj's, undershirts, undies, and socks in the dryer all night and they wrinkle, who cares? Same with sheets and towels. Then pull those out in the morning and throw them on your bed. Whenever you have a spare moment, fold them.

Start punishing the 4 year old for "smearing things all over". I would even go so far as to make her clean it up herself... with supervision. Just be consistent and it won't take long to change the behavior.

cont....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• After everyone eats, immediately rinse off the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. Don't dirty things unnecessarily. For instance, if you cook dinner then put things in different bowls to place on the table, stop that. Fill your plates from the stove.

Try to do once a month cooking for many meals. If your husband is off on Sunday, buy things in bulk and cook them all in one day. Get 10 pounds of hamburger meat, brown it and freeze it in 1pound measurements. Buy several boneless chicken breasts, boil them, shred them, freeze them in one pound measurements. Cook a HUGE pot of spaghetti and freeze the portions you would normally use for your meals. This is better than just using a jarred sauce b/c you can add a lot of things to spaghetti sauce (like pureed spinach, grated carrots, etc) so you're still giving your family veggies. cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Hang in there...

Do what you can when you can and realize that it's okay if you can't keep up with it or don't get some things done on one day.

I love the PP's suggestion of sorting clothes by things that CAN wrinkle and things that can't. I usually end up running the dryer again so the wrinkled clothes get unwrinkled before I pull them out and fold them.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have 20 month old twins so I can feel for you totaly. Hers a (((( BIG HUGG))))
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• get a schedule going.

while you are doing chores turn on sesame street for you 19mo old (I garentee she will be like a singing, smiling zombie!). Set a day to do your laudry, yard work, carpet shampooing or whatever "big" duties you have. try to get your two younger ones on (about) the same napping schedule, and GO TO SLEEP WUTH THEM!!!! you just have your baby so you already know that you have to rest. Its okay if you do. clean up at night if thats is when everyone is asleep. Use paper plates and plastic cups for a while to eliminate dishes and save money on the bills. Only cook quick meals, or cook two meals a night for one week and freeze them to keep you ahead of the game. Do this until you get into the swing of things and can better adjust your schedule. But always remember to put yourself first! you are many things to many ppl, if you get burned out, then how can you help anyone else?
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• With the OAMC stuff, you can pull out a pound of already browned hamburger and make your meal around that. The spaghetti sauce can be used on a lasagna, too. Make it in a meat loaf pan with no boil noodles. You can assemble it in less than 10 minutes and you don't have a ton leftover.

Use a crockpot. All you do is put your food in in the morning and it's done at dinner time. If you don't put everything in the crockpot, all you have to do is make a side dish or two. You can pretty much make anything in a crockpot.

Make a meal plan. Coming up with what to cook is sometimes as time consuming as actually cooking.

All the other housework, just do it as you go along. If you don't get something done, then don't worry about it. The baby will grow out of the colic and the others will start to help. You might have chaos for awhile, but it does get better.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• There is this stuff at walgreens called Gripe Water, disney makes one too called tummy soother. It is all natural and you can give it to you baby when he is not feeling good. That might help with your stress, and maybe he will take longer naps so you will have more time to get stuff done, or just to relax.
    littleblackrose

Answer by littleblackrose at 10:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Oh, BTW, the reason I suggest the OAMC when your dh is home is so that he can watch the kids while you're in the kitchen doing all this cooking.

I think a crock pot would really really help you out though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2009