Rocking 13 month old to sleep

My son is 13 months. He has been able to fall asleep without us rocking him since he was 6 months. Now for nap times he'll fall asleep pretty much ONLY if we rock him. So far he'll still fall asleep on his own at night.

I'm loving the fact that I can rock him now because I missed it sooo much, but I'm just wondering if it's just a phase most babies go through? Separation anxiety maybe??

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah I think its a phase. Maybe growing spurt or separation anxiety. My son went through something similar at 10 months.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son is thirteen months and has to play with my face or mouth or roll around the bed until he falls asleep. It just started though. But I'm so in love with him that it doesn't bother me as much as I think it should. lol
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• With my youngest when he got to be about 15 mos or so, this is the only way I could get him to settle for nap times anymore. Night time he was fine to go down on his own and that was non-negotiable, but for naps, it became our time. I'd rock him for 15 min or so and then put him in bed. He liked it and really so did I. I don't think it's a matter of them not being able to go to sleep on their own themselves, it's a matter of wanting closeness and ya gotta give them a little wind down time before naps cause their brains are still so awake, though their bodies are tired. Even if you don't let him get all the way asleep. Just rock until he is calm and relaxed and them go lay him down.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• it could be a phase but it can turn into a habit also. When DS was about 8 months he stopped letting us rock him and would only fall asleep in his own bed. Then he turned 18months and suddenly wanted to be rocked to sleep for naps and to lay with DH to go to bed at night. He's now 29 months (2 1/2) and we are still in this routine. Its nice most of the time for him to 'need' us and he always says 'K mommy cuddle time please' for his naptime but on the days I'm busy trying to study or clean or if DH works late one night its not so fun bc he refuses to go to sleep anyother way. To me I'd say if you don't mind rocking him and enjoy that time then do it as long as you'd like. Like my mom tells me anytime I complain about having to stop cleaning or something she'll say 'You will be able to clean your house a lot longer than you will have a baby who wants you to hold him' so I just enjoy it while it lasts.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My 15 month old still wants to be rocked but only at naptime. At bedtime we don't have to do that.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I rocked all of my babies and loved it. I still rock my 17 month. It may be a phase but you can ween him of that slowly if you like. Now to be honest, my babes usually got their molars around that time and wanted to be rocked. (Molars are the middle teeth, right?)
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sometimes it's harder to fall asleep during the day. It's bright, there's a lot going on, and it just doesn't feel like sleepy time. Cuddles with Mommy are a great way to settle down AND it's bonding time :) If you don't mind, then don't sweat it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009