Questions for those of you that don't believe in the Christian God.........

What do you believe happens when you die?

What is the purpose of life?

Would you LIKE to believe in God but just feel like that belief would go against logic?

How did you determine for yourself that He doesn't exist?

The questions are asked out of curiosity with no judgement intended. A couple of journal posts I've read today just got me thinking.......

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thank you, again, for all of those that took the time to share.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What do you believe happens when you die?

I believe we all have what I call 'a life force', and when we die, if our life force was strong enough, we  remain behind in energy form which some people would call spirits or ghosts, but if our life force was weak, we simply cease to exist.

What is the purpose of life?

I don't think we are born with a purpose, but we make our purpose while alive. Life is an accident, but purpose is born out of it. We are able to affect those we leave behind with our actions while here.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Would you LIKE to believe in God but just feel like that belief would go against logic?

I used to think belief in a God was necessary to feel fulfilled, loved and worthy, but have since discovered that all I need is faith and love in myself to be fulfilled. Life is what you make of it, and we are all capable of amazing and wondrous things if we only choose to listen and learn from ourselves.

By searching within my heart for the truth.

IhartU

• What do you believe happens when you die? You just die. Your body decomposes, gets cremated, whatever, but the fact remains you're dead. Your family and friends will remember you for a time, possibly pass down stories about you to their loved ones but eventually even that will fade.

What is the purpose of life? On a grand scheme(or regarding life in general) it is simply to live and subsequently die. On a personal level it is whatever you choose it to be. Mine is to love my family and raise my children to be unique individuals capable of making wise decisions that will benefit both themselves and those around them.

Would you LIKE to believe in God but just feel like that belief would go against logic? No. I spent a good portion of my childhood growing up wanting to believe in a God but that was merely so I wouldn't be an outcast amongst my peers.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

We (meaning Heathens) go to Hel to be with our ancestors unless we win the "death lottery" and end up in Folkvangr or Valholl

What is the purpose of life?
    To gain wisdom

No, I believe the middle eastern Abrahamic God is there, for people of middle eastern decent. The only reason anyone else adopted him is he was spread through war and invasion, and they were given the choice to convert or die. Now people convert due to peer pressure, false promises and desperation more than an actual affinity for it. Look at the millions who believe because they're scared to not believe and be wrong.

"He" does, just on a FAR more limited scale than some are comfortable believing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How did you determine for yourself that He doesn't exist?
    Lots of research not only into the history of religion but man,psychology, philosophy, etc. In other words I educated myself on as much as I could and asked a lot questions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What do you believe happens when you die? You become fertilizer, unless you are cremated.

What is the purpose of life? Why does there have to be a purpose? We exist. I feel everyone should live a life that makes them happy without harming others.

Would you LIKE to believe in God but just feel like that belief would go against logic? No. As a child I was told that God existed and believed such. Then I grew up and used my own mind and education to come to my own conclusion. I accept people no matter what they believe, but it seems that I am not as greatly accepted because I do not.

How did you determine for yourself that He doesn't exist? I read the Bible, it is chock full of nice 'stories' and I think it helps people who feel the need for guidance and want to feel that there is more to death than just not existing. I just don't believe. Just like you believe, I don't, it comes to me that easy.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 10:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What do you believe happens when you die? Reincarnation

What is the purpose of life? To learn, love, etc.

Would you LIKE to believe in God but just feel like that belief would go against logic? No, I don't think it goes against logic at all, just not the God for me.

How did you determine for yourself that He doesn't exist? I do believe he exists, along with all the other Gods (and Goddesses), I just personally don't pray to him or worship him and all that.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Thank you all for taking the time to answer.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What do you believe happens when you die? I really don't know. I lean towards ceasing to exist and becoming wormfood.

What is the purpose of life? Whatever you make it out to be. Some of us will be great, some us will be failures. Most of us will live pretty normal lives.

Would you LIKE to believe in God but just feel like that belief would go against logic? No. I used to believe, but religion feels so controlling to me. Most if not all religions have been created to control the masses, give a few people power, and try to limit questioning from its followers. That's too much politics for me.

Listening to too many fundamentalists explain how the bible is the "absolute truth". Logic and science makes a lot more sense to me than the stories in the bible. Once I quit believing in some of the stories, the rest of my beliefs fell apart.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2009