My husband's and my debate over tax deductions

So my husband claims 5 allowances on his taxes. Head of household, himself, and 3 dependents, including me. I don't think he should claim me as I claim myself on my taxes. However, the question is this. Do you have to claim every allowance your are eligible for? And if I am claiming myself on my own allowances, should he be claiming me? For some reason, he won't trust our friend that works as an accountant and at a Jackson Hewitt, even though she has the knowledge to answer it. Can anyone help? He is only getting like $.06 taken out in federal taxes...out of a $1000 check. So at the end of the year, if he didn't qualify for the EIC, we would have to pay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Two people can not claim the same person, that will catch up to you, if you are working and earn enough to claim yourself, then claim yourself. Otherwise, let him claim you, if you two are married what difference does it make?! Unless your income isnt shared....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009