Would you jeopardize someone's family to better your own?

I have a babysitting job that I am barely getting by with so I am looking for something better. If I find something I plan on giving them 2 weeks notice to find someone new. My sister asked well what if the company doesn't want to wait 2 weeks? I said I wouldn't take to job. She thinks I'm being dumb bc it's better for me and my son. But I wouldn't want the lady I work to get fired bc of me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most companies understand that you need to give 2 weeks at your current job. I think they would have a problem hiring you if they thought there was a chance you could quit a job with no notice. Just let them know when they ask when you can start,"I am currently employed and need to give 2 weeks notice."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You just need to be honest with your employeers and let them know you have your own baby sitting business and will need to give your clients a 2 week notice, they should understand, plus on applications it asks for a start date.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would tell the woman I am babysitting for that I am looking for a job and that you are telling her so that she can line someone else up to babysit for her.  Then I would take the job as soon as I was offered it.  If you have already given her a warning that you won't be able to babysit anymore, then the rest is on her not you.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP- the problem with the start date is I never know when 2 weeks from the hire date will be. On paper apps I just write 2 weeks notice, but online I have to put an actual date.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP-Katrina, the problem with that is I need this job until I find something else, which could take forever!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i know most don't agree with this, but if you don't have a contract with this lady, she could do the same to you too, right? You really have to do what's best for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• 2 weeks is fair notice, unless you signed something with her that said you'd give a month notice. When I used daycare, it seemed to always be 30 days notice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would just let her know that you are looking, and that when you find something, she will have X amount of time to find other childcare arrangements. Online, I would figure a week for them to contact you, interview you, etc. and then your two week notice, and so then pick a date 3 weeks from the day you are filling it out and put it in. Then, in an interview or if they call to offer you the job, you can explain your situation.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009