How important is it for your house to be Perfect?

I was just curious. My SIL has to have her house just perfect. I mean not a thing out of place,ever. If there are dirty dishes-even one, my brother had better wash it if he sees it before her. Her house is decorated to the hilt too. She has a maid complements of her daddy. My house gets messy and I just walked around the mess. Dishes can sit in the sink,I don't like my house messy or dirty but I think that there are a lot of other things that need my attention. How are you about perfection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not at all, lol. If it was I would be an even bigger basket case than I already am. I clean it up before I go to bed because waking up to a clean house makes me feel better, but during the day there are toys scattered about and no telling what else. My house is clean but you will find dust in some corners, etc. I used to be a really obsessive cleaner but I've learned there are more important things in life than having a spotless house, like spending time with my DS and DF.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Not that important and I am trying to convince my mom of that! My house isn't dirty but there are toys on the floor and sometime the dirty dishes will be in the sink overnight before i get to them but I would rather hang out with my kids then get crazy over a little clutter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It's clean, but it's not perfect. I have an OCD aunt - she deals with it better now, but at her worst, she couldn't leave the house each morning until the whole thing was vacuumed and the lines from the vacuum all had to be perfectly parallel. If she messed up, she'd have to do the whole house over again. Even with her being "better" visiting her is stressful. If you leave a hand towel off center in the bathroom she'll go in after you come out and fix it. I could never live like that, and I don't want my family to ever have to live like that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'm a freak about keeping everything in its place! I drive myself and my husband NUTS! I just can't look at a mess w/o getting anxious. I'm pretty sure I have OCD tedencies! LOL! I blame my mother b/c she was the same way when I was growing up. She would follow my bro and I around w/ a dustbuster ;-) I swore I'd never be like that, but here I am! It took my SIL years to get used to my mother going to her house and making statements about things that needed to be cleaned. Its a joke among us now. She is coming to visit next week and I'm stressed out about what she will find that I may have overlooked! I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I feel bad sometimes when my house gets out of control...but i also am 38 weeks pregnant so i have no energy plus i have a 3 yr old son and a 4 yr old dog (who acts like a 3 yr old kid!) so they're both running around messing stuff up if i DO get it cleaned!! I feel like I can't win sometimes, so i do tend to let things go. And it only bothers me if it gets way out of hand. Otherwise, a few toys scattered here and there, a few dishes in the sink, that doesn't bother me at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have less than 650 sq ft for 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 cats and 1 frog--- there is NO WAY my house can look perfect!! I do the best I can to keep it clean and tidy, but you get 1 thing out of place and the house looks trashed. It would not be so bad if my middle son was not such a pack rat- and actually got rid of stuff and kept his stuff picked up, or if my 3yr old would pick up his toys when he is done playing with them.
    I am hoping the hubs will get the basement cleaned out and organized soon--- so I can shift alot of the kids stuff (toys, junk) from their room and my livingroom to the basement.
    Oh how I wish we could just sell this place and move to something bigger----unfortunately that is not an option!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It's not perfect but it's clean. I don't let dishes sit in the sink, if I see them in there when I go in to the kitchen I wash them. We clean the bathroom as we use it. I wash the sheets and make the beds every day. I sweep and mop every day. I don't like clutter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• LOL- I tend to walk around the mess often. Most of the time my house is "presentable" But I have my times where it'll be messy for days. I LOVE to have a clean house but like you said...sometimes theres better things to do than clean the house. My mother is always giving me tips to keep a cleaner house. I know all the tricks but still have my way of doing things, or not doing things! If I plan on having people over i'll clean it up. I guess whatever makes YOU happy is all that matters. We have our whole life to get better at these minor things.
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009