How to get my 2 year old to take his medicine?

Everytime I give him his medicine he forces it back out of his mouth and pitches a fit. I have tried putting it in a reg cup with a tiny bit of juice and telling him it's just juice and many other ways but I am at a loss. Any creative ideas out there?

newmama5613

Asked by newmama5613 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mm maybe flavor medecine. i have never had a problem with my dd taking medecine.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I always just mixed it with milk and told her it was strawberry milk : )
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 11:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Wrap it in cheese... of wait, that's my doggy. I like the milk idea personally. If you don't make a big deal outta it, he'll never know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• And the juice didnt work? Man he's tough. I had this problem with dd a couple times. I had a lollipop waiting for her to make the nasty taste go away immediately. Have it ready....try sugar free candy too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You are going to have to be mean mommy on this one. I know, we all hate going there, when it comes to sick kids and giving medicine, but it has to be done. Do you have one of those oral squirty syringes that they give you at the pharmacy for childrens meds? If you don't, you could go ask for one. and then just tell him he has to open up and squirt it in toward the back of his mouth, then hold his mouth shut if need be. I know it sounds so horrible, but if ya gotta, ya gotta and those squirters work great.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with the 'mean mommy' advice - sometimes we have to do things we wish we wouldn't have to and if he needs medicine then this is not an option. Basically - you are responsible and just doing it nonchalantly and with as little fuss is best, but be firm and get the job done.
    rodscanadian

Answer by rodscanadian at 11:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Oh - and to add - I have a 16 year old son (trying for another baby soon though) and he still hates to take medicine! So I have been doing this dance for 14 years and feeling guilty about it is the furtherest thing from my mind!
    rodscanadian

Answer by rodscanadian at 11:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What juice did you use? Try a stronger flavor of juice or more juice and try to get him to drink it w/o saying there's medicine in there. My daughter is actually to a point where she asks for medicine, even if she's not sick! But when she was little, she only like the reg meds, no flavoring. So I would mix it with a strong juice to help cover the flavor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It's funny, cause it is good tasting medicine and I use Grape juice which is strong and I put it in there where he couldn't see me doing it and just said "here's your juice" HE IS SMART! LOL!!!!! I am going to keep trying though!
    newmama5613

Answer by newmama5613 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009