Larger families coming back?

OK, I am "old". Most of my peers have 2 kids. I have noticed a lot of larger, younger families with kids close in age. Just wondering, what made you decide to have a large family? (4 or more kids) Are we trending back to the time when there are larger families? Do you plan on having the kids involved in tons of sports and activities or maybe just a more simple, family oriented life. This is not a forum to judge what others are doing. Just a chance for me to be educated on what "the next" generation values and thinks of family life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• OOPS, hit answer too soon. We had 4 close in age because my husband was 1 of 3 with a large gap between the 3 of them (they are 63, would have been 51 but he died when he was 32 and my hubby is 43) even though they had the same parents and I was the oldest of 4 but my sisters were raised by our mom and I was raised as an only child by my grandparents. We wanted our children to have that bond of siblings, the built in friendships and to be close. At 23, 21, 19 and 17 they are very close and always have been. I wouldn't change a thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We have 7 I am 35 I wanted 12 dh wanted 7 . We are done LOL we knew we wanted a large family I grew up in a large family where DH did not it was just him and his sister. Are kids ages range from 17- 6 months old. My kids are very active in there schools with sports ,choir,dance, JRROTC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i have 2 kids ( 3y/o & 6 week old) and i'm 26 dh is 31... we don't plan on having anymore kids, as soon as i get a job we're going to put our 3 y/o in dance or gymnastics idk which one yet, i'll let her decide
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• when i was growing up i vertually a single kid. my dad had two older girls from a PR (previouse relatinship) and the youngest was 12 yrs older than me. i desperatly wanted a sibling when i was younger. my husband has a sister thats only a few yrs older than him and he is sooo attached to her they talk all the time.and i want my kids to ahve that.right now we only have 2. working on # 3 right now.and planing to have more if its possilbe. 4 would be ideal. i love being surrounded by family. if my kids so choice to be invovled in activities iw ill accomidate to it.ie being a "soccer mom" my kids right now are 2 yrs apart. planing for the next one to be born b4 my sons 2nd birhtday. but due to army life thers a yr when hes not home. and in that time its nice to get my mind off the war and just play with my kids. i love my babies. theve really changed my life for the better. after my DD was born it opened up my eyes.made me grow up
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I value family but I like just having 2, I'm more comfortable with that, plus my daughter's have 3 step brother's, so my husband fathered 5 all together and to me that's a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I want at least five and no, I'm not going to put them in a lot of sports. If they want to play something or join a club than that's their choice, but I'm not going to push anything on them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think family is very important and children are really a joy (even though I have some serious moments of frustration!! haha) I'm 28. I have a son and soon to be a daughter. I think we're done for now only because of money and space issues (as it is the 2 we have will be sharing a room and that's all the room we have left!)
    If our situation changes in the future, I'd love to have more, but we'll see what happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• . My parents were both only children and I have 1 brother. My husband comes froma huge family. 2 sibs and his dad has 3 sibs. I have 3 kids, my brother has 5, and have a total of 18 neices/nephews if you include my ex SIL's kids and yes they are still like family to me. Other than my brother I don't know anyone who has more than 3 kids.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We have 5-6 counting the step DD. I am considered anvanced maternal age, I am 42. My oldest is 23 and my youngest is 2. I love having a big family. Some of my children are spaced and some very close. We as a family are very close. My kids have all been in sports, dance, music etc. I think if you keep them busy and let them explore the sports etc they like, then they are less likely to get into trouble. My children know what it is like to share, take turns, and get along. I don't bash parents of less children or singles. It just worked out for us this way and we are happy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am 42 and I have 4 all spaced close in age. They are now 23, 21, 19 and 17.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009