How do I stop sweating the little things?

I am a single parent of a beautiful 8 yr old girl. I find myself getting more mad then neededover things that are not that important, like being late. After getting mad, I feel guilty about getting mad at my girl I usually do something for her to 'make it up to her', anywhere from taking her to the park to buying her something from the store. I know I am making mountains out of mole hills, how do I stop sweating the little things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well what sets you off? you obviously know the indicators...like running late...if you feel or see one of the red flags and you know you will get upset give yourself a time out...just one minute...breathe relax and make a DECISION NOT to over react...if you do this over and over again eventually it will become second nature. On my bedroom mirror I have a sign that reminds me everyday: IF THE ROLLS WERE REVERSED AND YOU WERE THE CHILD HOW WOULD YOU WANT TO BE TREATED. The first time I read that I had an Aha! moment because I know when I do something wrong or dumb or stupid I don't want to be put down, abused or degraded all I want is for someone to help me realize what I did wrong and how I can do better next time. Good luck.
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 11:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Just remember-you have to pick your battle, stop take a minute and think is it worth it. You will realize it is not. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• the very best thing you can do when you have over-reacted is to be honest with your daughter.....tell her say..." hey Mommy went a little nuts back there and I completely over reacted, sorry about that" by doing this she will realize you are not a nut job, you are human , you as a parent make mistakes too and that it is okay to say I messed up sorry about that. You also need to make a conscious effort to stop over reacting. You need to figure out what is going to set you off and take steps to fix the problem...hate running late. get everything together the night before. give yourself an extra 15 minutes in the morning to get ready. if it will help set the table for breakfast at night, take showers at night etc etc G/L

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009