Is the nickname I have for my son inappropriate?

I am white, my son is black and is nickname is monkey. Someone recently commented about me calling him that since it is a derogatory term for African Americans. I don't think about that kind of stuff or use derogatory names for any race so it never crossed my mind. Should I stop calling him that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Are you freakin kidding me? Grow up and be serious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• omg really? that is so stupid.... i'm sure you're calling you child "monkey" to be mean NOT
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I know a lot of people who nicname their kid monkey, they are white it shouldn't matter, I tell my daughter she's a tree frog all the time, you should just ignore all the people who are telling you that you shouldn't call him monkey that's a very common nickname.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• wow i never thought of it that way. i call my son monkey all the time.but hes white.i d k. what do you think you should do????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Monkey is a common nickname for a kid, especially a boy. The fact that whoever said that to you even brought up race says a lot about that person. Don't worry about it. If race isn't an issue with you, it won't be an issue between you and your son, either.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• IDK. It's up to you. I call my youngest DS monkey and we're white. why? Cause he acts like a darn monkey, climbing on anything and everything he sees, climbing up the door frames, etc. If you are calling you DS that for the same reasons I see nothing wrong with it. At the same time you must be mindful of the fact there are others that have the view that no matter what ,it is derrogatory and should not be used under any cicumstances.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Hey, I called my son peanut for years, Last year I found out he is allergic to peanuts is that my fault. :)

I can see why some people will get upset, are you living for them or you. You have your reasons for calling him monkey, just like I have my reasons for calling him peanut. Do what you want to do, do what you think is best. Anyone not just trying to nit pick , will know your not insulting your own kid. If they consider that an insult. :) Good luck. I will always call my baby peanut. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• seriously, you've never heard the term "porch monkey"? It's offensive. Maybe it's cute to you, but if i was in public and heard you (a white woman) call a black child (i don't know it's your kid if i don't know you) a monkey, i would think you are demeaning the child. I'm white, but i would still be offended.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• This is really a legitimate question? OMG. Whatever turns you on. It is your son. But be prepared to deal with the consequences from having such a bully making fun name. For three years I had to endure a gang of girls always chanting my nickname. The school did nothing about it. I feel for your child. There are a lot of mean kids out there. He will definitely get a thicker skin from it.
    Anonymous

• i call my dd big head sometimes lol
    Anonymous