Anything else to help re-lactate?

I have an 18mo daughter who hasn't breast fed since she was 4mo. She is now unable to handle dairy and is drinking soy for a substitute. I always have regretted my choice to stop nursing( she had reflux and I got immense pressure to stop) and I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to re-lactate besides just pumping? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and I know the pumping schedule for relactating is usually every 2-3 hours, but since she's older should I still do it that often?

Please no bashing... all unproductive or irrelevant answers will be ignored and deleted!

Ravensong

Asked by Ravensong at 12:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not impossible, but it may be very difficult. Stop by the breastfeeding moms group, and look for an answer from Gdiamante. She's a goddess. I def think you should go to LLL meetings. I think if this is something that you are determined to do, you should be able to make it work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, if she'll latch, thats a great start. Other then that, maybe a supplemental nursing system so she can drink her soy milk at your breast, stimulating production. I strongly suggest going to a La Leche League meeting. They can and will hep you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• She's a little too old to sit still and latch, lol. I thought about trying to see if she'd be interested in doing that if she saw anything coming out first. I never thought of using the sns... thank you for answering:D
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 12:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Let me start by saying I am very pro breastfeeding and I have years of experience answering a breastfeeding phone helpline. Relactation is for infants that will suckle. I have never heard of a toddler that weaned at 4 monts nursing again.

You may be able to make milk to give by cup. Things that are supposed to help you make milk are called galactagogue. You can go to google and read the pros and cons.

It's fine for toddlers not to eat milk or soy. Cow's milk is for baby cows. My kids never had a glass of milk. If you want to be grossed out about milk go to www.milksucks.com and you won't feel bad about your daughter not eating milk products.

If she doesn't eat other foods with calcium there are fortified juices or you can buy powder that you can put in food. The three important things in milk are protein, calcium, and vitamin D and she can get those from other sources.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Cont.

It sounds to me like you deeply regret your decision to stop breastfeeding and are now trying to make up for it. I think it is probably too late. I could be wrong.

She may be able to eat some milk products as she gets older. There have been times in my life when I've had to not eat any milk at all and it's hard. My kids and I can eat about one serving a day. We can have pizza, food with cheese in it, ice cream, or yogurt. I used to have to really watch one of my kids because he loved ice cream and not only was he lactose intollerant but if he ate too much it would give him an asthma attack.

Mothering Magazine has great online discussion boards about breastfeeding. You can find more info on breastfeeding at www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• why dont you try soy milk. relactating tyhis late is almost impossible. if she latches on maybe. pumping would be more like eveyr 2 hrs. you will ahve to get especial medecine,. likke reglan. but contac la leche league and do research on lactating
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009