Could mental disorders such as depression, attention deficit disorder, trauma, etc be confused with Autism?

Sorry if some moms get offended but recently I had the opportunity to revise medical records for students and about 75% are "labeled" as Autistic but IN MY OPINION these kids are being misdiagnosed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I definitely think that some kids are being misdiagnosed. I know that there is a broad spectrum of Autism, but it really seems like if they dig deep enough, all of us could fall somewhere on that spectrum.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I guess unless you are a parent of an autistic child, you can't really have that type of opinion. Sometimes what's written on paper isn't all of what they are dealing with on a daily basis either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I bet they are. Medical Records for students can be easily falsified to get the child eligible for some kind of special program. Good call..... Sad, but true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• not all doctors have the proper training in how to Dx autism. it is a speciality of sorts. I am sure there are mistakes out there. But I am just as sure that my son DOES have Autism, because His Dr does have the special training, I new practically from day 1 that he was "different" and all the hours and hours of research I have done only leads me to agree with the Doctor that he does indeed have autism.

Doctors are only human after all and can make mistakes. Not every Dx (of anything) is 100 %  that is why it is so important for people to ask questions, do research and get a second opinion

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I suspect you might be right. For a while, all kids were being diagnosed as hyper and given drugs. Now they are diagnosed as Autistic even if they are just having emotional problems because it is easier to put them all in a little box and label it Autism.
    I bet only a small percentage have true Autism or Aspergers. It is sad. I bet some Moms want to have a diagnosis so they can blame their kids' behavior problems on something they can't control. Heh.Oh and they can also blame vaccines. @@
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009