my cervix is thinning

dr checked my cervix today and said it was starting to thin. I'm 20 weeks. What does this mean and what do they do about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why were you checked?

Are you having preterm labor?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• it means your cervix is getting thnner. have u heard when someone says 10: effaced or 30: effaced. they dont do nothign about it is part of you body getting ready fro labor i stared thining out early with both my pregnacies and i had them at 37 and 38 wks. there is nothing to worry about is all normal
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I thought it was bx contractions. I have llower back pain too. Last week, I had an infection, but that said the infections gone. The pain hasn't went away, so they checked me and sao I was thinning out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Imagine a bagel~ it is round and fat with a small hole in the center. A cervix is kind of like this. As it gets prepared for labor it will open in the center and become thinner, looking like a life saver that's been sucked on, sort of...
    The cervix is thinning. This may/may not be a concern for you this early, I don't know. You might be put on "pelvic rest" (no sex) to help avoid further progression. Ask your doctor what you need to know.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Cervix Effacement

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You might be put on "pelvic rest" (no sex) to help avoid further progression. Ask your doctor what you need to know.
    Good luck!
    not all dopctors put peiole who thined early on pelvic rest i was 4 cm and 50% effaced with my first and i wasnt put in any kind of rest
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009